Store Perfume Properly
Fragrance compounds are degraded by heat and light, even before you open the bottle. Off aromas may develop, turning that special occasion into an odoriferous affair. Lighter scents and less concentrated forms are most susceptible. Depending on what chemical compounds are formed, a fragrance could leave you red and scratchy. If something has been irritating your skin lately, it may be your perfume.
To keep perfume in its prime, protect it from its enemies. Keep it in comfortably cool and dry conditions, away from heat sources and direct sun. Don't keep perfume in the bathroom, where humid air can infiltrate the bottle. If heat and humidity are inescapable -- in the Florida Everglades in July, for instance -- keep it in the refrigerator. The crisper is specially designed for reduced humidity. It's also a good idea if you need to put an open bottle in storage for a few months -- to keep a summer fragrance during the winter, for example.
Buy perfume in spray bottles, if possible. They let in less air than ordinary bottles, which reduces evaporation, contamination and chemical reactions. To transfer perfume from a bottle to an atomizer, first rinse the atomizer with rubbing alcohol to remove the old fragrance. Let it stand a few minutes, then rinse with water and air dry.
Under optimal conditions, an unopened bottle of perfume will keep for up to 18 months. Bu who could buy a new perfume and wait that long to use it?
- Bowers, Elizabeth Shimer. "Healthy Diet, Healthy Skin." WebMD.com. June 18, 2011. (Aug. 19, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/acne-care-11/diet-and-skin?page=1
- Drycleaning & Laundry Institute International. "Tips on Silk." (Aug. 13, 2012). http://www.ifi.org/Silk
- Edwards, Michael. "Top 100 Perfume Questions." Fragrances of the World. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.com/Top100Questions.aspx
- EyeWitnesstoHistory.com. "Cleopatra Seduces Antony." Ibis Communications, Inc. (Aug. 16, 2012) http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/cleopatra.htm
- Givaudan. "Sustainable Sourcing of Raw Materials." (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.givaudan.com/Investors/Strategy/Sustainable+Sourcing+of+Raw+Materials
- Jourdain, Sarah. "Can My Diet Affect the Moisture of My Skin?" Discovery Health. (Aug. 18, 2012) https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/information/nutrition/diet-affect-moisture-of-skin.htm
- Marinelli, Janet. "Planting Perfume for Pollinators." National Wildlife Federation. May 14, 2010. (Aug. 17, 2012) http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/Gardening/Archives/2010/Planting-Perfume-for-Pollinators.aspx
- Museum Conservation Institute. "Stain Removal." Smithsonian Institute. 2008. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/stains.html
- Oakmoss Botanicals. "The Personality of Essential Oils." (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.oakmossbotanicals.com/PersonalityOfOils.html
- Pruitt, Kate. "DIY Project: Solid Perfume Pocket Watch Locket." Design Sponge. (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.designsponge.com/2011/07/diy-project-solid-perfume-pocketwatch-locket.html
- Silk Wholesalers. "Caring for Silk Fabrics." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.silkwholesalers.com.au/caring_for_silk_fabrics/
- The Beauty Brains. "Like Celebrities, Fragrances Can Go Bad." TheBeautyBrains.com. Jan. 1, 2008. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.thebeautybrains.com/2008/01/01/like-celebrities-fragrances-can-go-bad/
- The Beauty Brains. "What Makes Some Perfumes Last So Long?" TheBeautyBrains.com, Oct. 20, 2098. (Aug. 18, 2012) http://www.thebeautybrains.com/2008/10/20/what-makes-some-perfumes-last-so-long/
- Vosnaki, Elena. "Myth Busting: What Fragrance Concentration Really Means." Perfume Shrine. June 15, 2011. (Aug. 17, 2012) http://www.perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2011/06/myth-busting-what-fragrance.html
- Wallick, Lee. "The Subtle Science of Fragrance." Wired. Oct. 2010. (Aug. 13, 2012) http:www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2010/10/start/the-subtle-science-of-fragrance
Are you wondering what's the difference between old and vintage? Find out what's the difference between old and vintage in this article.