Topsies are a close relative to flip-flops, but instead of a thong, these shoes feature stretchable fabric that straps around your feet and ankles, providing full coverage and support. This casual, trendy line of footwear originated in California, where residents enjoy wearing flip-flops and sandals year-round. Topsies are loved for their lightweight, comfortable style and bold design. They're decorated with everything from peace signs to dragons, but even in plain, solid colors, these unique shoes make a striking fashion statement all on their own.
- Birkenstock USA. "Birkenstock History." (April 11, 2012) http://www.birkenstockusa.com/about/birkenstock-history
- Birkenstock USA. "Sandals, shoes and clogs for women." (April 11, 2012) http://www.birkenstockusa.com/women
- M., Racheline. "History of a Shoe: Penny Loafers." Zappos.com. July 8, 2008. (April 11, 2012) http://blogs.zappos.com/blogs/comfort/2008/07/01/history-of-a-shoe-penny-loafers
- Topsies Online. "Our Story." (April 11, 2012) http://www.topsiesonline.com/our-story-a/142.htm
- United States National Library of Medicine. "Athlete's foot." (April 13, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001878/
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, the (USPTO). "Frequently Asked Questions About Patents." Dec. 11, 2011. (April 13, 2012) http://www.uspto.gov/faq/patents.jsp
What's the history of the first Nike shoes? Learn more about Nike shoes and their waffle iron origins. Learn more in this HowStuffWorks Now article.