Until you're satisfied something is being done, and done to your satisfaction, don't stop. If the teacher doesn't mitigate your child's fears and the events causing them, call the counselor. If the counselor doesn't help, call the principal. If the principal's a bust, call the district. And if the actions are criminal, it's your right and duty to phone the police.
These days, one in five children falls prey to peers behaving badly. Parents must be vigilant, well-informed and prepared to take effective steps to return a healthy, happy educational environment to their children.
- Bully Beware Productions. "What can I do when my child is being bullied?" December 2008. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.bullybeware.com/faq/bullying/80-bullies-at-school-what-can-i-do-when-my-child-is-being-bullied.html
- BullyPolice.org. "Anti Bullying Law Passage Calendar." 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010). http://www.bullypolice.org/
- Children's Trust Fund of Massachusetts. "My Child Is Getting Bullied -- What Should I Do?" One Tough Job campaign. 2007. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.education.com/reference/article/my-child-being-bullied/
- Coalition for Children. "Dealing With Bullies." (Nov. 17, 2010). http://www.safechild.org/bullies.htm
- Department of Health and Human Services' Stop Bullying Now. "State Laws On Bullying." October 2010. (Nov. 15, 2010) http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/adults/state-laws.aspx
- Department of Health and Human Services' Stop Bullying Now. "Warning Signs that a Child is Being Bullied." (Nov. 16, 2010). http://www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/hhs_psa/pdfs/sbn_tip_7.pdf
- Dotger, Benjamin and Mara Sapon-Shevin. "But What Do I Say?" ASCD. June 2009. (Nov. 13, 2010) http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/summer09/vol66/num09/But-What-Do-I-Say%C2%A2.aspx
- Dyslexia Parents Resource. "Dealing with bullying." (Nov. 19, 2010). http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/bullying.html
- KidsHealth.org. "Helping Kids Deal With Bullies." September 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/bullies.html
- Moss, Peggy. Author. "Say Something, Our Friendship Rules." Personal correspondence. (Nov. 16, 2010)
- MyNews3.com. "Where to turn if your child is being bullied." July 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=22307&n=5245,5037
- National Center for Victims of Crime, Teen Victims Project. "Bullying and Harrassment." 2005. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.ncvc.org/tvp/main.aspx?dbName=Bullying
- National Crime Prevention Council. "Bullying." (Nov. 18, 2010). http://www.ncpc.org/topics/bullying
- U.S. Department of Education. "Exploring the Nature and Prevention of Bullying." 2010. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www2.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/training/bullying/bullying_pg3.html
- Wilkins, Elisabeth. "My Child is Being Bullied -- What Should I Do?" Empowering Parents. 2010. (Nov. 13, 2010) http://www.empoweringparents.com/My-Child-is-Being-Bullied.php#
- Wright, Jim. "Preventing Classroom Bullying: What Teachers Can Do." Intervention Central. 2004. (Nov. 14, 2010) http://www.jimwrightonline.com/pdfdocs/bully/bullyBooklet.pdf
The number of teens sexting is on the rise, despite it being a serious crime. HowStuffWorks tells parents how to tread this new legal minefield.