Tips for Writing a Parenting Blog
The most important thing to remember when writing a blog is to write what you care about and keep things as fresh as possible. As you saw earlier, almost every parenting issue can be a topic for a blog post, so you don't have to limit yourself or feel like you need to write about one thing to please your readers. But if you are looking for tips on how to write a good blog, you won't have to look further than the Internet.
Before you start up your own blog, you may want to consider researching what other bloggers have done in the past. Look to successful parenting blogs and see what you like and what you might do differently. Your reaction to other sites is a great gauge for the type of Web site you should be creating yourself. Many magazines review blogs, so look for ones that are highly rated and go from there [source: Forbes]. Once you have researched other sites and feel inspired, you can begin to work on your own blog. Also, don't hesitate to revisit this step whenever you are lacking inspiration. Just be sure that you are getting ideas from other people's blogs, rather than copying their work.
When you write a parenting blog, the most important things to remember are to have fun and focus on what you care about most -- your kids and being a good parent. Whether you have thousands of readers or just a few, writing about the special times in your children's lives and your learning experience as a parent can be a reward in itself. For more parenting information and inspiration, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Belkin, Lisa. "Motherlode." New York Times. January 8, 2010 (Accessed 1/10/10). http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/
- Blogsessive. "Blog Writing Tips from the World's Most Famous Authors." December 21, 2009 (Accessed 1/10/10).http://blogsessive.com/blogging-tips/blog-writing-tips-from-famous-authors/#more-1429
- Brooks, Larry. "10 Questions you Should Ask and Answer About Your Blog." BloggingTips. January 8, 2010. (Accessed 1/10/10).http://www.bloggingtips.com/2010/01/08/10-questions-you-should-ask-and-answer-about-your-blog/
- Forbes. "Parenting Blogs." 2010 (Accessed 1/10/10). http://www.forbes.com/bow/b2c/category.jhtml?id=303
- How to Make My Blog. "How to Set Up WordPress 2.9 -- Step-by-Step Guide." (Accessed 1/10/10).http://www.howtomakemyblog.com/wordpress/how-to-install-wordpress-step-by-step-guide/
- Parenting Blog. 2010 (Accessed 1/10/10).http://www.parenting-blog.net/
- Rowse, Darren. "7 Questions to Ask On Your Blog to Get More Reader Engagement." ProBlogger. December 2 2009 (Accessed 1/10/10).http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/12/02/7-questions-to-ask-on-your-blog-to-get-more-reader-engagement/
- Starr, Rob. "Tips for Getting the Best Exposure." Blogging Tips. January 10, 2010. (Accessed 1/10/10).http://www.bloggingtips.com/2010/01/10/tips-for-getting-the-best-web-exposure/#more-12309
- The Mommy Blog. 2010 (Accessed 1/10/10).http://themommyblog.net/
- The Parenting Post. 2010 (Accessed 1/10/10).http://forums.parenting.com/blogs/parenting-post/posts/