And that brings us to our final tip. Just like in the five stages of grief, your final stage here is acceptance. Not acceptance that you'll be spending all your future evenings slugging away at an endless stream of mind-numbing toils, but acceptance that yes, there probably will be some days when you'll have to allot some downtime to meet your deadlines.
But the important part is this: On days when it isn't absolutely necessary to log some hours away from your desk, don't. It's crucial to learn how to judge where a task ranks in terms of priority, and once you get the hang of it, you'll start to get a better grasp of when it's go-time and when it's time to go home and chill out. If you're following all the tips on this list, chances are more often than not you'll be free to do whatever suits your fancy, so don't feel too bad if once and a while you have to sacrifice a sunny day in exchange for getting some work done.
For lots more information on ways to save time and speed up your workflow, visit the links below.
- 10 Careers for Power Moms
- 5 Things You Should Know: When Mom's the Breadwinner
- 5 Tools for Online Business Communication
- How Time Management Software Works
- How to Set Up a Business Web Site
- How to Organize a Home Office
- How much does it cost to be a stay-at-home mom?
- How has technology changed the way we conduct business?
- Alderman, Lesley. "How to leave work at the office." Parenting Magazine. March 30, 2009. (4/14/2010) http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/03/30/leave.work.at.the.office/index.html
- Mann, Sharon. "Time Management Tips: Nine Ways to Leave the Office by Five." April 1, 2010. (4/14/2010) http://itprojectmanagement1.com/time-management-tips-nine-ways-to-leave-the-office-by-five/
- "Regain Important Family Time by Leaving Work at the Office." Your Life Track. August 25, 2009. (4/14/2010)http://yourlifetrack.com/family-time-work/
- "Time Management: Work Life Balance - 10 Time Management Seminar Tips for Leaving the Office Behind." The Time Management Training Institute. (4/14/2010) http://www.timemanagementtraining.com/time_management_training_Work-Life-Balance-10-Time-Management-Seminar-Tips-For-Leaving-the-Office-Behind.html
- White, Jay. "How to Leave Work at Work." Dumb Little Man. (4/14/2010) http://www.dumblittleman.com/2007/02/how-to-leave-work-at-work.html
HowStuffWorks learns about the free-range parenting philosophy and talks to the movement's founder Lenore Skenazy.