Many surrogate mothers find that the experience is too physically and emotionally exhausting to even consider repeating. Some do go back for more, though -- but probably none as many times as one Welsh woman. Liz Stringer -- a single mother of two daughters -- has given birth to six surrogate babies, the last in 2010, at age 47. When she was 20, she vowed to try surrogacy when cervical cancer left a close friend infertile. Her first surrogacy experience finally came in 1997, when she carried a son for a couple who had been trying to get pregnant for 20 years. She's had five more since then, with no regrets (and no payment). "The huge emotional rush I feel seeing the parents' joy is what makes it addictive," she says [source: Carroll].
There's lots more information about surrogacy, pregnancy and fertility below.
- ABCNews.com. "Surrogate Mom Recalls 'Amazing' Quints Delivery." April 28, 2005. (Accessed Sept. 14, 2010) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnlyinAmerica/story?id=711042
- Ali, Lorraine. "The Curious Lives of Surrogates." Newsweek, March 29, 2008. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://www.newsweek.com/2008/03/29/the-curious-lives-of-surrogates.html
- BBCNews.com. "Sixth -- and Last -- Surrogate Baby for Gwynedd Mother." Aug. 17, 2010. (Accessed Sept. 14, 2010) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-10968560
- Black, Cherie. "Cancer Patient's Frozen Eggs Enable Her to Have Child." Jacksonville.com, Jan. 10, 2006. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/011006/met_20774315.shtml
- Carroll, Helen. "'I'm Addicted to Surrogacy.'" News of the World, Aug. 23, 2009. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/fabulous/features/459483/Irsquom-addicted-to-surrogacy-Liz-Stringer-UK-Surrogacy.html
- Colenso, Maria. "How Surrogacy Works." HowStuffWorks.com, March 24, 2008. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) https://health.howstuffworks.com/pregnancy-and-parenting/pregnancy/fertility/surrogacy.htm#
- Daily Mail Reporter. "'Surrogate sister' gives couple the ultimate gift to end years of IVF heartbreak." April 13, 2009.(Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1169513/Surrogate-sister-gives-couple-ultimate-gift-end-years-IVF-heartbreak.html
- Kerr, Jessie-Lynne. "Jacksonville mom who made medical history with son's birth dies at 39." Jacksonville.com, Sept. 8, 2010. (Accessed Sept. 14, 2010) http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-09-08/story/jennifer-v-rutansky-1971-2010-mom-made-medical-history-birth
- McKay. MaryJayne. "Triplets: Best Christmas Gift Ever." CBSNews.com, Dec. 29, 2004. (Accessed Sept. 14, 2010) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/29/earlyshow/living/main663813.shtml
- Pries, Allison. "Whatever Happened to Baby M?" NorthJersey.com, Jan. 5, 2010. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://www.northjersey.com/news/Whatever_happened_to_Baby_M.html
- Tina Q. Cade Foundation. (Accessed Sept. 15, 2010) http://www.cadefoundation.org/index.php
A study found that new dads don't necessarily pull their weight when it comes to child care and housework. Find out more at HowStuffWorks.