Take Care of Others
By virtue of their trade, mothers are supposed to be caring and nurturing. Instill some of these attributes in your child throughout her life through any number of caring activities.
Young children can easily help care for a pet by brushing a furry friend, taking the dog for walks or even just feeding the goldfish on a daily basis. The tween and teenage years are the perfect time for mother-daughter teams to enrich the lives of those less fortunate by volunteering at a local food bank, soup kitchen, hospital or other charitable organization.
Of course, older daughters who once shunned their mothers during teenage years are practically guaranteed to come running for Mommy once their own babies are born. Although some of your techniques might be rusty or outdated by then, you'll surely have a ton of pertinent advice to pass down from years of in-the-trenches experience. Trust us, you'll want to be around when she expresses her gratitude for the many years of sleepless nights, financial quandaries and behavioral issues you're probably dealing with right now! They crawl as babies and then come crawling back as adults -- you may have to wait a decade before reaping the satisfaction, but better late than never, right?
- 5 Things You Should Know: Bonding with Grandparents
- 5 Things You Should Know: Dad-to-Dad Bonding
- 10 TV Moms We Secretly Want to Be
- Top 10 Women Entrepreneurs
- Top 10 Mom Businesses
- Top 10 Products Moms Are Still Waiting For
- 5 Things to Know About Managing Family Schedules
- 5 Spare Time Tricks for Mom
- 5 Budget Luxuries for Mom
- Will my baby prefer the nanny over me?
- Clarke, Erika. "Ten Mother-Daughter Vacations That Won't Drive You Apart." Frommer's. March 30, 2007. (Nov. 30, 2010).http://www.frommers.com/articles/4308.html
- "How Pets Build Family Bonds." Parents Magazine. March 2008. (Nov. 30, 2010).http://www.parents.com/parenting/pets/kids/pets-good-for-kids/?page=6
- Neighmond, Patti. "Support Group Strengthens Mother-Daughter Bond." NPR. Aug. 2, 2007. (Nov. 30, 2010).http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12421213
- Van Kampen, Karen. "Mother-Daughter Activity Guide." Kaboose. (Nov. 30, 2010).http://family-fun.kaboose.com/mother-daughter-activity-crafts.html
New baby smell is more than warm milk and dirty diapers. Find out what causes it and what purpose it serves from HowStuffWorks.