It can be hard to sit on the sidelines when your kids have kids. You'll want to jump in when you see them making the same mistakes you made -- or when you see them raising their children completely differently than you did. But resist the temptation to rush in with criticism. If you see a situation you just can't leave alone, approach your child in a private, nonconfrontational way. Have an honest discussion, and don't be offended if your child doesn't take your advice.
For more information on parenting adult children, keep going to the next page.
More Great Links
- AARP. "Parental Support Doesn't Turn Grown Kids Into Slackers." April 11, 2011. (April 28, 2011) http://www.aarp.org/relationships/parenting/info-04-2011/parental-support-of-grown-kids.html
- Arnett, Jeffrey, and Fishel, Elizabeth. "In Sluggish Economy, More Adult Children Are Banking on Parents' Aid." AARP. Jan. 6, 2011. (April 28, 2011)http://www.aarp.org/relationships/parenting/info-01-2011/bank_of_mom_dad.html
- Coleman, Joshua. "Seven Common Mistakes of Parenting Adult Children." Huffington Post. Oct. 30, 2007. (April 28, 2011)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-joshua-coleman/seven-common-mistakes-of-_b_70502.html
- Fleck, Carole. "Multigenerations Living Under One Roof." AARP. May 2010. (April 28, 2011)http://www.aarp.org/home-garden/housing/info-05-2009/wo05_intergen.html
- InfoPlease. "Median Age at First Marriage, 1890-2010."http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html
- Pickhardt, Carl. "Parenting After the Adolescent Becomes Adult." Psychology Today. June 21, 2010. (April 28, 2011)http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/surviving-your-childs-adolescence/201006/parenting-after-the-adolescent-becomes-adult
- Segell, Michael. "New Rules for Parenting Grown-Up Kids." Prevention. May 2008. (April 28, 2011)http://www.prevention.com/health/health/healthy-living/advice-for-parenting-adult-children/article/30349f63293c8110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/
New baby smell is more than warm milk and dirty diapers. Find out what causes it and what purpose it serves from HowStuffWorks.