Stress from an overloaded schedule might make you want to scream sometimes, but it's affecting you in lots of ways beyond turning you into a human teakettle. For example, stress can cause you to experience headaches, backaches, chest pains, stomach complaints, sleep problems, heart palpitations, weight gain and hair loss. Plus, apart from irritability and anger, if you're stressed, you're more likely to feel anxious, depressed, worried and restless. You might lose focus and become forgetful -- which of course doesn't help when you're trying to strike things off your to-do list.
So if enough of these symptoms sound familiar, you should make an effort to return to the regular load you managed like a champ and enjoy a little relaxation on customary basis.
- "Aggressive Driving: Three Studies." AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. March 1997. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.aaafoundation.org/resources/index.cfm?button=agdrtext
- Gonzalez, Sarah. "It's Time: The Wristwatch Makes A Comeback." NPR. Nov. 8, 2010. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131163403
- Lloyd, Delia. "5 Signs You're Working Too hard." The Huffington Post. Oct. 14, 2010. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/delia-lloyd/five-signs-youre-working-_b_753199.html
- Lloyd, Robin. "The Most Important Exercise Tip." Live Science. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.livescience.com/health/060530_exercise_good.html
- Palmer, Brian. "Could Stress Really Make Your Hair Fall Out." Slate. July 13, 2009. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.slate.com/id/2222738/
- Shultz, Sarah. "Burnout: 5 Signs You're Doing Too Much." Insider Report. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.insiderreports.com/storypage.asp?StoryID=20024615
- "Stress relief: When and how to say no." Mayo Clinic. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-relief/SR00039
- "Stress symptoms: Effects on your body, feelings and behavior." Mayo Clinic. (Nov. 16, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-symptoms/SR00008_D
A study found that new dads don't necessarily pull their weight when it comes to child care and housework. Find out more at HowStuffWorks.