Make time for your spouse
It's sometimes easy to put the "just you two" relationship on the back burner. With a large family, the only way you'll have time for your spouse is to make time for your spouse. A date night once a week or every other week is a good way to carve time for some adult conversation. Even putting the kids to bed a little early and relaxing with a glass of wine will help keep you connected. Making your bedroom "off limits" to the kids will give you some space that is just yours.
Remember, it's the little things that keep you bonded. A hug after dinner or bringing her coffee in bed shows that you care. Sending him a quick e-mail at work or a text message while you watch your son's basketball game lets him know you're thinking of him.
And don't forget time for yourself. Get up a half-hour early to exercise, watch television or do nothing…uninterrupted. Treat yourself now and then to the luxury of a nap, a good book, a cup of tea or a bubble bath. A large family comes with a lot of work…and a lot of happiness. Relax and take it one day at a time.
- Amazon.com "Cheaper by the Dozen (Perennial Classics) (March 10, 2011)http://www.amazon.com/Cheaper-Dozen-Perennial-Classics-Gilbreth/dp/006008460X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#reader_006008460X
- Baby Center. "What is really considered a Large Family?" (March 10, 2011)http://community.babycenter.com/post/a16674866/what_is_really_considered_a_large_family
- Black, Rosemary. "Lessons from Large Families." Parenting. (March 3, 2011)http://www.parenting.com/article/lessons-from-large-families
- Circle of Moms. "Large or Blended Families." 2011 (March 10, 2011)http://www.circleofmoms.com/large-or-blended-families/What-is-considered-a-large-family-205937#_
- Duggar, Michelle. "Raising 14 Kids." Parents. 2003 (March 3, 2011)http://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/style/raising-14-kids/
- Ellington, Sara and Triplett, Stephanie. "The Must-Have Mom Manual." Ballantine Books. 2009
- Finello, Kristen. "Time Savers." Parents. 2011 (March 3, 2011)http://www.parents.com/parenting/moms/healthy-mom/time-savers/
- Gorkin, Dena "Parenting Shortcuts." Chabad.org. 2001-2011. (March 3, 2011) 3, 2011)http://www.chabad.org/theJewishWoman/article_cdo/print/true/aid/337113/jewish/Parenting-Shortcuts.htm
- Lehmann, Michelle. "Big Family Ideas for Small Families." Lots of Kids. 2007 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Household/Articles/smallfamilyideas.php
- Lehmann, Michelle. "BTDT Laundry Tips & Tricks." Lots of Kids. 2005 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Household/Laundry/BTDTlaundrytips.php
- Lehmann, Michelle. "Command Center." Lots of Kids. 2003 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Household/GettingOrganized/command-center.php
- Lehmann, Michelle. "Meal Planning for Large Families." Lots of Kids. 2009 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Kitchen/Articles/mealplanning.php
- Lehmann, Michelle. "Top 10 Must-Haves for the Large Family Kitchen." Lots of Kids. 2008 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Kitchen/KitchenCenter/10topkitchen.php
- Lots of Kids. "Ask the LOK Cook." 2004 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Kitchen/KitchenCenter/LOKCook/LOKCook-apr04.php
- Lots of Kids. "Meal Chart Generator." 2003-2010 (March 3, 2011)http://www.lotsofkids.com/LOK-Kitchen/mealchart/mealcharts.php
- Murphy, Anne Pleshette, Editor. "Parents Magazine It Worked for Me!" St. Martin's Press. August 1999
- Parents. "Purposeful Parenting Discussions." (March 10, 2011)http://community.parents.com/content/PurposefulParenting/journal/8581025/What-is-considered-a-large-family-by-todays-standards
New baby smell is more than warm milk and dirty diapers. Find out what causes it and what purpose it serves from HowStuffWorks.