Crafting not only keeps children engaged, but also encourages fine motor skills, problem solving and nurtures a host of other creative behaviors. You can use craft projects to foster little imaginations -- while introducing pre-reading and math skills. It's no wonder more than half of U.S. households report completing some kind of craft project in 2009, according to the Craft & Hobby Association.
If you'd like to join a "mommy and me" craft group, check out the local YWCA, recreation center or craft store. Retailers such as Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores frequently host demonstrations and classes designed for children and adults. Whether your child's favorite activity is stringing beads, sculpting clay or sewing with yarn, you're sure to find a way to enjoy it together. After all, that's the point of "mommy and me" activities.
- 10 Mistakes Parents Can Make
- 10 Family Bonding Activities
- 5 Mother-daughter Bonding Activities
- 5 Things to Know: Finding Day Care
- Top 5 Healthy Activities for Toddlers
- Quiz: Are you spending enough time with grown-ups?
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? The Making of a Stay-at-Home Mom
- Child Development: Helping Your Baby Grow and Learn
- Foster Your Baby's Intelligence
- Bouchez, Colette. "Getting Fit with Baby on Board." (Dec. 30, 2010) MedicineNet.com. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=61913
- Craft & Hobby Association."Crafting Remains Strong During The Recession". (April 27, 2010. (Dec. 30, 2010) http://www2.craftandhobby.org/cgi-bin/pressrelease.cgi?func=ShowRelease&releaseid=335
- Gorman, Megan Othersen. "The 10 Best Art Museums for Kids." (Dec. 30, 2010) Parents.com. http://www.parents.com/fun/vacation/us-destinations/the-10-best-art-museums-for-kids/?
- ItsAMomsWorld.com. "Mommy and Me Classes." (Dec. 30, 2010) ItsAMomsWorld.com. http://www.itsamomsworld.com/mommy-and-me-classes.html
- Kindermusik.com. "Benefits of Music." (Dec. 30, 2010) Kindermusik.com. http://www.kindermusik.com/about/
- Lofing, Niesha. "Mom.me: With Swim Lessons, Kids Quickly Love the Pool." July 6, 2010. (Dec. 30, 2010) Sacramento Bee. http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/06/2870194/momme-with-swim-lessons-kids-quickly.html
- Magee, Elaine. "Cooking with your Children." (Dec. 30, 2010) WebMD.com. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/cooking-with-your-children
- Nurik, Cindy Bunin. "Fun with Mommy and Me." Dutton Adult, 2001. (Dec. 30. 2010)
- Sauer, Jennifer. "10 Great Places to be Steeped in Tea, Tradition and Comfort." Dec. 13, 2007. (Dec. 30, 2010) USAToday.com. http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2007-12-13-10-great_N.htm
- Smith, Donna. "Afternoon Tea, Anyone?" (Dec. 30, 2010) RecipesToday.com. http://www.recipestoday.com/articles/bonding-with-grandchildren/afternoon-tea-anyone-2927/
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park. "Just For Kids." (Dec. 30, 2010) NationalZoo.si.edu. http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Audiences/kids/default.cfm
HowStuffWorks learns about the free-range parenting philosophy and talks to the movement's founder Lenore Skenazy.