Time spent with your husband is as important as that with the new addition to your family. If you aren't getting the rest you need, your husband should know, and perhaps he can come up with a solution that better fits your family's needs.
Set aside a time to communicate about how your days have been going. Learn if there are ways the two of you can improve the quality of each other's routines. Sharing your feelings -- especially about the postpartum changes you're experiencing -- can lift some of the weight from your shoulders. Your entire familial structure has changed, and coming to terms with that may help you sleep easier.
- 5 Things to Know: Picking Baby Names
- Top 10 Women Entrepreneurs
- Top 10 Mom Businesses
- Baby Shower Quiz
- How Sleep Works
- How to Choose a Nanny
- How to Balance Work and Home Life
- How to Figure Out if You Can Afford Not to Go Back to Work after Maternity Leave
- Can workplace skills help parents?
- Will my baby prefer the nanny over me?
- What are the advantages of both parents working?
- How much does it cost to be a stay-at-home mom?
- Breus, Michael, PhD, ABSM. "Sleep Well." WebMD. Dec. 26, 2006. (Oct. 22, 2010)http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2006/12/sleep-facts.html
- Breus, Michael, PhD, DABSM. "Sleep Linked to Infertility." Huffingtonpost.com. Aug. 15, 2009. (Oct. 22, 2010)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-michael-j-breus/sleep-linked-to-infertili_b_260367.html
- Elkins, Lucy. "Who REALLY needs more sleep -- men or women? One of Britain's leading sleep experts says he has the answer." The Daily Mail. Jan. 26, 2010. (Oct. 22, 2010)http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1246029/Who-REALLY-needs-sleep--men-women-One-Britains-leading-sleep-experts-says-answer.html#ixzz138PIlc4Q
- Hazelwood, Kate. "Scary Truths about the Graveyard Shift." Bloomberg Businessweek. July 11, 2003. (Oct. 22, 2010)http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jul2003/nf20030711_4474_db035.htm
- Norton, Amy. "New moms get enough sleep, just not good sleep." Mother Nature Network. Aug. 30, 2010. (Oct. 17, 2010)www.mnn.com/family/raising-a-family/stories/new-moms-get-enough-sleep-just-not-good-sleep
- Baby Center. "Sleep aids during pregnancy." September 2009. (Oct. 17, 2010)http://www.babycenter.com/0_sleep-aids-during-pregnancy_7914.bc
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. "New Parents: How to get the sleep you need." Aug. 8, 2009. (Oct. 17, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-baby/PR00068
Are we in a golden age of paternity leave? Find out why this employee perk is becoming more common at HowStuffWorks Now.