Aidan (or Aiden, depending on personal preference) isn't a new name, but it did seem to explode out of absolutely nowhere in the early 2000s. Since jumping to the top of the baby name charts, Aidan has spawned a handful of other popular rhyming names, such as Caiden, Jaden and Brayden (spelling varies). In fact, celebs like Britney Spears and Will Smith chose the Jayden/Jaden moniker for their own little guys.
Irish in origin, Aidan's meaning is "fiery." Although it's impossible to pinpoint beyond a shadow of a doubt, tiny Aidans started popping up en masse right around the time that the character Aidan Shaw made his debut on the popular television show "Sex and the City." Played by the ever-so-handsome and likeable John Corbett, it's no wonder the name skyrocketed in popularity and resulted in a bunch of copycat names, to boot.
- Babycenter. "Popular Baby Names for 2012." 2012. (March 23, 2012). http://www.babycenter.com/popularBabyNames.htm?year=2012
- Babycentre. "Top 10 Baby Names Around the World." January 2011. (March 23, 2012). http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/naming/top10namesaroundtheworld/#10
- Moy, Suelain. "Q&A: What are pros and cons of baby names with more than one meaning?" BabyZone. 2012. (March 23, 2012). http://www.babyzone.com/baby-names/baby-names-with-multiple-meanings_77193
- Parenting. "Top Baby Boy Names of 2010." 2012. (March 23, 2012). http://www.parenting.com/gallery/baby-boy-names
- Parents. "Top 100 Baby Names." 2012. (March 23, 2012). http://www.parents.com/babynames/topNamesCensus.jsp
- Social Security Online. "Popular Names in Territories." March 11, 2011. (March 23, 2012). http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/territories.html
- The Bump. "Popular Baby Names." 2012. (March 23, 2012). http://pregnant.thebump.com/baby-names/popular-baby-names.aspx?MsdVisit=1
HowStuffWorks reports on ChatterBaby, an app developed by a UCLA scientist and mother to take the guesswork out of a baby's cries.