Spend Quality Time With Mom or Dad ... Really!
The tween years mark the end of your baby's childhood. You'll notice your child is forging an identity and life that's independent of you -- but this is normal. The bad news? Some days you'll be public enemy No. 1 in your tween's eyes. The good news? The very next day, your tween will want to snuggle up with you on the couch and watch a movie.
Take advantage of those warmer moments. To foster an open relationship with your tween that will carry on through the teen years and beyond, spend quality time with your child as much as you can. Do what your tween likes to do -- download music, dance or play a game together -- and you're giving your tween the message that you're on his or her side. You might just find your tween wanting to spend time with you without you having to ask for it. What a reward!
For more on tweens and family, check out the links below.
- 10 Creative After-school Programs for Kids
- 10 Great After-school Activities for Tweens
- 10 Things Tweens Actually *Like* to Do After School
- After-school Fun: Making the Most of Your Kid's Time
- How to Get Kids Excited for After-school Tutoring
- How to Make a Schedule for Kids After School
- How to Stay Involved with Your Tween Without Hovering
- What are some good after-school jobs for tweens?
- "Afterschool Programs." EducationBug.com. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2011)http://www.educationbug.org/a/after-school-programs.html
- Dakss, Brian. "Marketing to 'Tweens' Going Too Far?" The Early Show. May 14, 2007. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/14/earlyshow/living/parenting/main2798400.shtml
- "Encourage Team Sports for Tweens." TweenParent.com. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.tweenparent.com/articles/view/184
- Gavin, Mary L. "Healthy Habits for TV, Video Games, and the Internet." KidsHealth.com. April 2008. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/tv_habits.html
- Krotz, Joanna L. "Tap Into the Lucrative Tween Market." Fox Small Business Center. Dec. 8, 2010. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.foxsmallbusinesscenter.com/sbc/2010/12/08/tap-lucrative-tween-market/
- McCready, Amy. "Top three parenting mistakes with tweens and teens." Today Moms. Oct. 13, 2010. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://moms.today.com/_news/2010/10/13/5283798-top-three-parenting-mistakes-with-tweens-and-teens
- Mersch, John. "Tween: Child Development (9-11 Years Old)." MedicineNet.com. Dec. 3, 2009. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.medicinenet.com/tween_child_development/article.htm
- "Read TWEEN the Lines: Tween Friendships." The University of Alabama. July 24, 2009. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.newswise.com/articles/read-tween-the-lines-tween-friendships
- Scherer, Marge. "Which Way, the Middle?" ASCD. April 2006. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/apr06/vol63/num07/Which-Way,-the-Middle%C2%A2.aspx
- "The Teen Brain is a Work in Progress." Frontline. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/work/
- "Does your tween need help managing screen time?" TweenParent.com. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.tweenparent.com/articles/view/117
- "Weight can Damage Self-Esteem." KidsGrowth.com. 2011. (Jan. 8, 2011) http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=82
Forts are fun for kids and adults. See 10 forts to build with kids to create the ultimate play experience.