Helping the Sick
Many sick, injured or elderly people find it difficult to take care of even the most routine errands. Often, able-bodied adults volunteer to drive them to appointments or assist with tasks like grocery shopping. Parents that participate in one of these programs can check into taking a child along for the ride. Often, a kid or teen will add a little excitement to otherwise mundane errands and will probably feel important just for being included. Make sure it's OK with the person you're assisting, though, as he or she may prefer a quiet ride without children.
Similarly, many organizations and churches provide meals to people that can't cook for themselves. Simply sign up for a regular meal and have your child help you prepare and deliver it to a grateful recipient. Just don't forget the dessert!
- Alex's Lemonade Stand. "About Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.alexslemonade.org/about
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. "Young Friends." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.choa.org/Support-Childrens/Volunteering/Hospital-Volunteers/Ways-to-Volunteer/Young-Friends
- Cobb County. "Adopt-a-Mile Program." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://kcb.cobbcountyga.gov/adoptamile.htm
- Friedman, Jenny. "Volunteer With Your Kids." Parents. 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/style/volunteer-with-your-kids/
- Georgia Aquarium. "Youth Volunteer Program at Georgia Aquarium." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/support-us/volunteer/teen-volunteers.aspx
- Houston Zoo. "Zoo Crew Teen Volunteer Program." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.houstonzoo.org/teen/
- Kirkland County Public Library. "Junior Volunteering." 2011. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.myrcpl.com/children/junior-volunteers
- World Volunteer Web. "Benefits of Volunteering." Oct. 19, 2005. (Nov. 11, 2011) http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/resources/how-to-guides/volunteer/doc/benefits-of-volunteering.html
Forts are fun for kids and adults. See 10 forts to build with kids to create the ultimate play experience.