Before all of the planning and budgeting gets started, decide on the where, when, what and how. Here are some ideas for getting started:
- Have a pig roast: An affordable option that will make the whole neighborhood smell great. Neighbors can bring sides and drinks.
- Dance in the streets: Make the music and the empty space the focus for all ages to cut a rug.
- Make stuff: Set up an art fair atmosphere with interactive stations.
- Compete: Turn the cooking into a competition with chili, barbecue or even sandwiches being pitted against each other as part of the party.
- Put the kids to work: Let them serve lemonade, paint kids' faces and get creative in how they spend the time, allowing you some adult time, too.
- Host scavenger hunts: Open homes and community businesses and make the day a game.
- Combine with a holiday: Halloween, Easter and Fourth of July are some neighbor-friendly times to celebrate while keeping kids safer and closer during treat sharing, egg hunting and blasting off rockets.
- Combine with community service: Host a beautification project to plant a garden, clean up blight on the landscape or "take back the night" from crime together.
- Trade or sell: Have block-wide garage sales with a big shared party afterward or set out items for trade and covet your neighbors' goods for a day -- while getting to keep a few.
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the time with people you only wave at most of the year, and party on!
- Allrecipes.com. "Block Party Basics." Allrecipes.com. 2012, Feb. 26, 2012. http://allrecipes.com/howto/block-party-basics/
- City of Fort Collins. "Block Party Tips from Neighborhood Resources." FCgov.com. 2012. (Feb. 26, 2012). http://www.fcgov.com/communications/pdf/block-party.pdf
- Fullenwider, Kyla. "How To: 10 Ideas to Blow Up Your Block Party." GOOD.is. June 13, 2010. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.good.is/post/how-to-10-ideas-to-blow-up-your-block-party/
- Garbarini Hurley, Alice. "Throw a Great Block Party!" GoodHousekeeping.com. 2012. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipes/entertaining/block-party-0603
- National Association of Town Watch (NATW). "National Night Out 2012." NATW.org. 2012. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.natw.org/nno/index.html