We love the idea of themed sleepovers because they offer so many opportunities to create memorable moments. They're loads of work, but if you have the space, the time, and plenty of energy, a sleepover can turn a simple birthday into a magic holiday. Any theme can be converted into an overnighter, and the extra few hours will make the best use of all your planning and attention to detail. These tips will help:
- Create a schedule. Having children dropped off and picked up at a set time will make things easier.
- Have each child bring a sleeping bag, pillow and other necessary items.
- Don't invite more children than you can house comfortably in a single room.
- Use a couple of night lights to make unfamiliar surroundings less scary for the kids.
- Anticipate problems like squabbles, running up and down stairs, jumping on beds, and so on. Lay down some house rules sooner rather than later.
- Establish a bedtime and make sure everyone knows what it is in advance. Do a bed check and a half-hour countdown with a firm "lights out" at the end of it.
- Supervise the proceedings at a discrete distance, and make safety a priority.
- Stay available in case anyone gets homesick or becomes ill.