While most auctions give the winning bidder the contents of the entire unit, you as self-storage manager still need to be sensitive to the fact that there are often personal documents that should not change hands. Many times, there are boxes filled with financial records that need to be incinerated or shredded.
Most bidders aren't out to steal anyone's identity, but they may not take the time to dispose of the records properly. As a self-storage manager or owner, you don't want to be held liable for their lack of care, so it's up to you to get rid of the documents. Make sure this is outlined in the auction rules so the winning bidder knows to turn in such items.
- "About Storage Auctions." Storageauctions.com. Jan. 22, 2012. http://www.storageauctions.com/3.htm
- "Mini Storage Owners: Why and How to Hold an Auction." Storagelockerauctions.net. Jan. 22, 2012. http://storagelockerauctions.net/mini-storage-owners-why-and-how-to-hold-an-auction/
- "National Auctioneer." Nationalauctioneer.com. Jan. 22, 2012. http://www.nationalauctioneer.com/auctioneer.htm
- "Professional Self Storage Auction Tips." Soragetreasures.com. Jan. 22, 2012. http://www.storagetreasures.com/auction-bidder/how-to-become-a-successful-buyer/professional-self-storage-auction-tips
- "Storage Auction Tips – Profiling Storage Auction – Units The Good The Ugly." Storageauctionguru.com. Jan. 22, 2012. http://storageauctionguru.com/storage-auction-tips-profiling-storage-auction-units-the-good-the-ugly/
Hosting a trivia night can spice up a slow bar night or be a great fundraiser. Learn how to host a trivia night to get started.