Your small business is often your "baby," and having a vested interest as well as an emotional connection to what you do shows. Event-planning can be as stressful as launching a new venture or plunking down an investment in the future, so stepping out of planner mode and into party mode isn't always easy. Being a host, however, is a perfect opportunity to show your energy and passion for your products, services, customers and potential clients.
Be determined to have a good time whether 10 or 200 people walk through the door, and especially if one of those is covering your event for the local news. Most of us remember a business or individual from a mention in an online or print newspaper and we're sure to know about those places where friends and family have had bad service or experiences, so plan for success as a business ambassador, as well as the life of the party. Both can pay off.
- Friedmann, Susan. "Meeting and Event Planning for Dummies, Cheat Sheet." Dummies.com. 2012. (March 10, 2012) http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/meeting-and-event-planning-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html
- Hottman, Sara. "How to Host a Customer Event." Inc.com. Jan. 27, 2011. (March11, 2012) http://www.inc.com/guides/201101/how-to-host-a-customer-event.html
- Levine, Shira. "Secrets to Planning a Great Business Event on a Tight Budget." American Express, OpenForum.com. Feb. 19, 2010. (March11, 2012) http://www.openforum.com/idea-hub/topics/marketing/article/secrets-to-planning-a-great-business-event-on-a-tight-budget-shira-levine
- Marriott. "Step-by-Step Planning Guide." Marriott.com. 2012. (March10, 2012) http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/event-planning-guide.mi
- Parr, Ben. "How-To: Plan and Promote Events with Social Media." Mashable.com. Apr. 29, 2009. (March11, 2012) http://mashable.com/2009/04/29/events-social-media/
- Rosenbloom, Stephanie. "Online RSVP's: A Simple No Just Won't Do." Dec. 7, 2006. (March3, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/fashion/07evite.html?pagewanted=all
- Sustainable Communities Online. "How to Plan a Sustainable Event." Sustainable.org. 2012. (March 11, 2012) http://www.sustainable.org/living/responsible-buying-a-consumption/473-how-to-plan-a-sustainable-event
- Yaverbaum, Eric, et al. "How to Plan a Promotional Event for Your Business." Dummies.com. 2012. (March10, 2012) http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-plan-a-promotional-event-for-your-business.html
Hosting a trivia night can spice up a slow bar night or be a great fundraiser. Learn how to host a trivia night to get started.