Today's society is all about exercise -- running, shooting hoops, playing baseball, Zumba or yoga. So, funnel all this physical activity into a fundraising activity!
Plan a 3-on-3 basketball tournament where teams raise money for points they score or how far they advance. Have a Zumba-thon, where participants ask for pledges based on how many minutes they dance their booties off. Softball or baseball tournaments, as well as road races, are also popular sporting events at which to raise money.
Before your cause can see the sweat (and the dollars), you've got to organize the event. You'll need:
- Space: Local parks, schools and recreational departments are great sources for gyms or outdoor space.
- Referees and Judges: It helps to have people familiar with the sports -- instructors to lead Zumba classes, basketball refs to whistle fouls, a softball umpire, or just someone to fire the gun at the beginning of a footrace.
- Volunteer and Vendors: You'll need people to bring the equipment, fill water cups, keep score and flip hotdogs, and vendors to donate the items used.
- Participants: Teams and individuals to take part and raise donations; often these events carry an entry fee.
With some good planning, a little sweat and an awesome volunteer team, people can get physical and have fun for a good cause.
- How to Start a Non-Profit Organization
- Party Planner 101: Can You Throw a Great Gala Event?
- 7 Charities that Stretch Your Budget -- and Your Impact -- This Christmas
- Give Wisely, Spot Potential Charity Scams
- Energize, Inc. "Humorous Anecdotes on Volunteering." February 7, 2012. (March 2, 2012). http://www.energizeinc.com/reflect/joke.html
- Fundraiser-Ideas.net. "The Top 9 Unique Fundraising Ideas." (Feb. 27, 2012). http://www.fundraiser-ideas.net/unique-fundraising-ideas/
- National Center for Charitable Statistics. "Number of Public Charities in the United States, 20120." (Feb. 28, 2012). http://nccsdataweb.urban.org/PubApps/profileDrillDown.php?state=US&rpt=PC
- National Park Service. "Giving Statistics." (Feb. 28, 2012). http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/fundraising_individuals_statistics.htm
- Outreach International. "Let's Can Hunger Scavenger Hunt." (March 13, 2012) http://support.outreach-international.org/pdfs/Lets_can_hunger_scavenger_hunt.pdf
Hosting a trivia night can spice up a slow bar night or be a great fundraiser. Learn how to host a trivia night to get started.