Choose a Sustainable Venue
Picking the right venue can be the most important part of making your event sustainable. Find a venue that has a track record of environmental sustainability and is willing to cooperate with your mission, or work with a venue that will adapt to meet your needs. Do they already have recycling facilities on-site? How energy efficient is it? What about the venue's choice of vendors -- do they use sustainable practices? Remember to review contracts to ensure your venue will participate in the green efforts the way you think they will.
When choosing a venue, there are some decisions you can make, too, that will help reduce energy consumption and waste. For instance, don't book a space that's larger than the number of guests you plan to have (most venues can tell you how many people a space holds for various types of functions). Choose a location that's accessible easily using public transportation. If you are using multiple venues, choosing facilities near one another can reduce the need to transport people long distances from one place to another.
For more event planning ideas and best practices to make your next event both fun and planet-friendly, take a look at the links below.
- Colorado Convention Center. "Sustainability." 2012. http://denverconvention.com/about-us/sustainability/
- Concern, Inc. "How to Plan a Sustainable Event." 2003. http://www.sustainable.org/images/stories/pdf/SusEvent_2003.pdf
- Convention Industry Council. "Green Meetings Report." June 15, 2004. www.conventionindustry.org/Files/CIC_Green_Meetings_Report.pdf
- Denver 2008 Convention Host Committee Greening Initiative. "Sustainable Event Planning Guide." 2008. www.denver.org/denver-meetings-conventions/images/SustainabilityGuide.pdf
- Kittler, Pamela, and Kathryn P. Sucher. "Food and Culture, 5th Edition." Thomson Wadsworth, 2008.
- Michaels, Sean. "U2 Criticized for World Tour Carbon Footprint." The Guardian, July 10, 2009. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/10/u2-world-tour-carbon-footprint
- Stanford University Office of Special Events and Protocol. "Green Event Planning Policy." https://osep.stanford.edu/policies/green.html
- Stop Waste Partnership. "Special Events Best Practices Guide." 2007. www.stopwaste.org/docs/specialevents-swp.pdf
Hosting a trivia night can spice up a slow bar night or be a great fundraiser. Learn how to host a trivia night to get started.