Some might argue that snacks are the most important part of a party. Try some of these pirate-themed nibbles for your little buccaneers:
- Veggie sword snacks: Slice some long, thin carrots into quarters (lengthwise). Slice up some cucumbers into round slices. Slide the cucumber rounds down each carrot stick -- from the pointy end toward the fatter end. Don't forget to leave some space at the end for the handle. Give each child a little cup of veggie dip, too.
- Deviled eggs: Make your deviled eggs as usual, but add a little paper sail on a toothpick.
- Fish snacks: Spread a little cream cheese on a cracker. Add a couple of goldfish-shaped crackers and some alfalfa sprouts for seaweed.
- Crocodile blood: Make ice cubes out of red fruit juice and serve them in clear cups of lemon-lime soda. As the cubes melt, they'll "bleed" into the soda.
- Chocolate coins: You can find these at just about any party store. Drop them on the birthday table in random spots for decoration. Let the kids discover that they're really chocolate!