Recycled Copper Mobiles
A mobile might bring to mind a baby nursery, but you can create lovely grown-up mobiles to decorate your home or office as well. Recycled copper wires make fantastic frames for mobiles, since they are durable and malleable.
Follow these steps to make a simple, recycled copper mobile:
- Snip the copper wires to your preferred length and place them into a star-like pattern.
- Tie them together using string, yarn or a thin cord.
- Tie additional string to the end of each star prong.
- Tie decorative items from the ends of the string, such as thin copper curlicues, ornaments or other treasured items. You can also glue small pieces of broken mirror to the strings to add some flair.
- Tie another piece of string to the center of the frame and hang.
If the copper wire is thin enough, you can skip the string and use only copper wiring to hang your mobile. Bend the copper using metal-working or jewelry-making pliers to create loops at the ends of the pieces. Remember that when making any art, patience is key.
To keep all of your creations bright and shiny, clean them regularly with a copper polish. You can find copper cleaners at your local hardware store or online [source: Garfield]. Now that you know how to make some basic recycled arts with copper, you can start looking at your old appliances and discarded copper piles with an artist's eye.
Visit the links below for more information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Bartel, Marvin. "Art Lesson: Wire Sculpture." 2004. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.bartelart.com/arted/wiresculpture.htm
- Black & Decker Outdoor Home "Building Garden Ornaments." Creative Publishing International., 2000. ISBN: 978-0865735903
- Bloglander. "Spiral Earrings." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.bloglander.com/jewelrymaking/articles/spiral-earrings/
- CBS. "L.A. Approves Higher Fines For Outdoor Water Use." 08/09/08. (Accessed 04/15/09) http://cbs2.com/local/water.use.fines.2.791521.html
- CDA. "Copper Facts." (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.copper.org/education/c-facts/c-general.html
- CDA. "Copper in the Home." (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.copper.org/education/c-facts/c-home.html
- CDA. "Green Patina Finishes." (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.copper.org/resources/properties/protection/green.html
- CDA. "Overview of Recycled Copper." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/1998/06/recycle_overview.html
- CDA. "Recycling of Copper." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.copper.org/environment/uk/ukrecyc.html
- Consumer Affairs. "Melted Gold Isn't Always Green." 07/10/08. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/07/melted_gold.html
- DIY Network. "Copper Pipe Sprinkler." Be Original: Episode DBOR-125. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_metal/article/0,,DIY_13766_5104556,00.html
- Dream Sprayer. "The Original Copper Art Sprinkler Kit © by Dream Sprayer." (Accessed 04/15/09) http://dreamsprayer.home.att.net/makekit.htm
- Garfield, Marla. "How to Polish Copper." Real Simple. (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/dusting-polishing/how-to-polish-copper-10000000693803/index.html
- Harvey, Mary. "Choosing the Right Jewelry Pliers for the Job." Home Jewelry Business Success Tips. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/jewelry-pliers.html
- How-to-Make-Jewelry. "How to Make a Tin Can Skeleton Brooch." 10/08. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://blog.how-to-make-jewelry.com/make-jewelry-blog/skeleton-jewelry-a-recycled-halloween-jewelry-project
- Kromer, Karyn. "Curious Copper." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.curiouscopper.com/store.php?seller=karynkromer&seeall=Y&sort=popular
- Lewton-Brain, Charles. "Hammer Hints" Ganoskin. 1994. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/hammer.htm
- Loken Forge. "Take a Blacksmithing Class." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.lokenforge.com/classes.html
- Raintree Sprinklers. (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.raintreesprinklers.com/raintrees.htm
- U.S. Mint. "The Composition of the Cent." (Accessed 04/15/09) http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fun_facts/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=fun_facts2
- Water Ballet Copper Sprinklers. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.waterballetcoppersprinklers.com/
- WYFF4. "Woman Gets 30 Years For Copper Thefts." 04/15/09. (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www.wyff4.com/news/19190549/detail.html
- Yardiac. "Decorative Copper Sprinklers." (Accessed 04/15/09)http://www2.yardiac.com/show_category.asp?category=53&tgs=30166030:29935273&cart_id=