You may not notice them much, but don't dismiss your shelves as a great option for a wall art display. If you have shelves, make the most of them. If you don't have them, consider adding them. Have you ever wished you had a fireplace so you'd have a mantel for displaying objects? Mount a shelf in a strategic spot.
Try mounting several shelves, perhaps of varying widths, on a large, empty wall. If you want something a little funkier, corner shelves can turn an unused corner into an attractive art display space. You can also place wall shelves all the way around a room near the ceiling to display a variety of favorite decorative objects.
Don't want to hang or mount shelves on your walls? Buy free-standing shelf units. Metal or wire shelving doesn't have to be just for the kitchen or pantry: Because you can see through such shelves, your decorative objects placed artfully on them against a wall become a display visible from much of the room.
Once you have shelves in place, make the most of them. Don't just store books or other objects in dull, orderly rows; turn your shelves into real wall art displays.
One good way is to mix framed photos and prints of various sizes among books, decorative plates, pottery, baskets and other decorative collectibles. Using shelves as art display spaces can make it easy to change the art you want to feature without having to make holes in the walls.
Want more ideas? Keep reading for lots more information on decorating and design.
- Apartment Therapy. "Use Costume Jewelry for Pretty Wall Décor." (Jan. 25, 2012) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/use-costume-jewelry-for-pretty-148145
- Better Homes and Gardens. "DIY Wall Art." (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it-yourself/wall-art/
- "Country Decorating." Betterway Books. Cincinnati, Ohio. 1998.
- "Country Home: New Country Style." Country Home Books. Des Moines, Iowa. 2001.
- Cundiff, Karen. "Choose Stenciling For A Creative Wall Décor Idea." My Country Home. 2005. (Accessed Apr. 12, 2009) http://www.my-country-home.com/stenciling.html
- Forcier, Polly. "Wall Stencils: Advice from a Pro." Bob Vila.com. 2001. (Accessed Apr. 12, 2009) http://www.bedrooms.bobvila.com/Article/389.html
- Home Decorators Collection. "Twelve Creative Ideas for Wall Shelves." http://www.homedecorators.com/Decorating_Ideas/Decorating_Tips/122/ (Jan. 14, 2012)
- Jenkins, Virginia. Personal Interview. April 10, 2009.
- Johnson, Kim, quilter. Winston-Salem, N.C. Personal interview by e-mail, Jan. 12, 2012.
- McMillan, Katharine Kaye and Patricia Hart McMillan. "Home Decorating for Dummies." 2nd Edition. Wiley Publishing, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. 2004.
- Mah, Edwin. "Interior Design Ideas – 5 Creative Ways to Display Art." Studio Treasure. http://www.studiotreasure.com/articles/interior/5-Creative-Ways-To-Display-Art.htm (Jan. 13, 2012)
- Pash, Adam. "How to Build an Album Art Wall on the Cheap." Lifehacker. 8/31/08. (Accessed Apr. 12, 2009)http://www.lifehacker.com/5043706/how-to-build-an-album-art-wall-on-the-cheap.html
- Pottery Barn Kids. Butterfly Art Cable System. (Jan. 24, 2012) http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/butterfly-art-system/?pkey=dwall-accessories
- Pottery Barn Kids. "Explore Garland Selected by National Geographic." (Jan. 24, 2012) http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/explore-garland/?pkey=dwall-accessories
- Ruffman, Mag. "Revive a Busted Window or Convert it Into a Mirror." HomeEnvy.com. 2008. (Accessed Jan. 23, 2012.) http://www.homeenvy.com/db/7/47.html
- Sherry, Kelly. "Stenciling Tips." Wall to Wall Stencils. 2009. (Accessed Apr. 12, 2009) http://www.walltowallstencils.com/howto/index.php
- "Trading Spaces: 48-Hour Makeovers." TLC. Meredith Books. Des Moines, Iowa. 2004.
Are you looking for some fun recycled craft ideas? Check out these 10 recycled craft ideas in this article.