Stars are a classic, celebrated symbol of Christmas. You can make easy, homemade stars to display as Christmas decorations using craft sticks. These are the wooden sticks from frozen fruit or ice cream bars. You can also buy them at craft stores, but it's easier and cheaper to save and wash used ones at home. Stars can be made out of a few sticks glued together, or you can use string, yarn, beads, buttons, glitter and other decorative items. Here are a few different options for creating ornamental stars:
- Use three sticks to make one triangle and glue them together. Use three more sticks to make another triangle and glue them together.
- Place the triangles on top of one another with the points going in opposite directions to form a six-sided star. Glue them in place.
- Gather 10 craft sticks.
- Use two sticks to make a very wide "V" shape with the sticks overlapping in the center. Do not glue them together.
- Place the remaining sticks in wide "V" shapes to see how wide all of the "V" shapes need to be. Be sure to overlap the ends of the sticks.
- Once you feel good about the shape and everything looks symmetrical, glue the sticks together where they overlap.
- Place one craft stick on top of another to form an "X." Glue the sticks into place.
- Place another craft stick on top of the "X" but angle it slightly to the left or right. Then glue that stick into place.
- Repeat the step above as many times as desired and continue moving the craft sticks over a bit until the star looks full.
Once your star is complete, you can go wild with the decorations. Finish it up by attaching a piece of string or yarn to the back of the star for hanging.