Classically beautiful is the best way to describe this lovely bed quilt. To get a closer look at the quilt and its patterns, download this four-page PDF of the Vase of Lilies Quilt.
To make the Vase of Lilies Quilt Pattern:
- From white-on-white print, cut one 331/2 X 41-inch rectangle, two 71/2 X 471/2-inch strips, two 71/2 X 55-inch strips, and four 71/2-inch squares.
- From green print, cut (on lengthwise straight grain) two 71/2 X 331/2-inch strips, two 71/2 X 41-inch strips, and eight 71/2-inch squares.
- Download and cut out all pattern pieces. Cut 1/4-yard piece fusible webbing and iron to wrong side of remaining green fabric. Trace leaf pattern 35 times onto paper side of fusible webbing and cut out. Remove paper backing.
- From burgundy print, cut two 71/2 X 611/2-inch strips and two 71/2 X 69-inch strips.
- Cut two 1/4-yard pieces fusible webbing. Iron side by side to wrong side of solid light rose. Trace lily bud 6 times and bow 8 times onto paper side of fusible webbing. Cut out and remove paper backing.
- From medium rose print, cut four 2 X 45-inch strips on the cross grain. Trim 2 strips to 331/2 inches and 2 strips to 41 inches. From trimmed ends, cut four 2-inch squares. Cut equal-length pieces from fusible webbing roll. Iron to edges of wrong side of each strip and square. Remove paper backing.
- Cut two 1/4-yard pieces fusible webbing. Iron side by side to wrong side of remaining medium rose. Trace full lily pattern 19 times onto paper side of fusible webbing and cut out. Remove paper backing.
- Cut one 1/4-yard piece fusible webbing. Iron to wrong side of dark rose. Trace partial lily pattern 6 times onto paper side of fusible webbing. Cut out and remove paper backing.
- Cut 12 X 17-inch piece fusible webbing. Iron to wrong side of dark brown. Trace vase pattern 5 times onto paper side of fusible webbing and cut out. Remove paper backing.
- From backing fabric, cut two 21/4-yard pieces.
- From green bias tape, cut one 24-inch length, two 70-inch lengths, eight 7-inch lengths, and two 60-inch lengths. Cut equal-size lengths from fusible webbing roll and iron to back of bias tape. Remove paper backing.
- Place 331/2 X 41-inch white-on-white rectangle on large flat ironing surface. Center vase 14 inches above bottom edge. Assemble 3 full lilies, 2 partial lilies, 2 lily buds, and 3 leaves, and pin in place as shown in finished quilt illustration below. Pin top full lily 12 inches from fabric top. Slip a piece of green bias tape (from 24-inch length) under each flower and under edge of vase. Fuse, removing pins just prior to fusing. ©2007 Publications International, Ltd.Vase of Lilies Quilt Pattern
- Using finished quilt illustration above for placement, assemble 1 bow, two 7-inch pieces green bias tape, 2 full lilies, and 2 leaves on each corner of center section. Bow ends should be 2 inches from each side, and lilies should be 21/2 inches from side and 12 inches from corner point. Pin all motifs in place. Fuse.
- Center equal-length 2-inch medium rose strip on each green strip and fuse. Center and fuse medium rose square on each of 4 green squares.
- Place light rose bow diagonally on each remaining green square 5/8 inch from all edges and fuse.
- Place brown vase diagonally on each white square so vase handles are 5/8 inch from sides, and top and bottom of vase are 3 inches from corners.
- With a pin, mark center point of each 71/2 X 55-inch white strip. Center and pin on 70-inch piece green bias tape, using finished quilt illustration as guide. Serpentine tape edges should be 11/4 inches from fabric sides, and tape ends should be 13/4 inches from long side edge. Trim tape ends even with fabric edges. For each strip, pin on 3 full lilies, 2 lily buds, and 8 leaves; referring to finished quilt illustration for placement. Strips should be identical. Fuse motifs and bias tape to strip.
- In the same manner, center 60-inch bias tape pieces on 71/2 X 471/2-inch white strips. Pin 1 full lily, 2 partial lilies, and 4 leaves to each strip, using finished quilt illustration for placement. Strips should be identical. Fuse motifs and bias tape to strips.
- Stitch longer green strips to sides of center panel. Lightly press seams toward green, keeping iron off fused appliqués and bias tape.
- Stitch green square with medium rose square to each end of shorter green strips. Press seams toward squares. Stitch strips to top and bottom of center panel. Carefully press seams toward green.
- Stitch longer white strips to sides of green. Stitch vase squares to shorter white strips, then pin and stitch to top and bottom of green. Lightly press seams toward white squares and strips. ©2007 Publications International, Ltd.Vase Pattern
- Stitch longer burgundy strips to sides. Lightly press seams toward borders. Stitch bow square to each end of shorter burgundy strips and stitch to top and bottom of quilt.
- Stitch together backing pieces to make 81 X 89-inch piece. Press seams open.
- Layer quilt front, batting, and back and baste. Using zigzag stitch and matching thread, machine stitch around each lily, leaf, vase, and bow. Use straight stitch with matching green thread to stitch both sides of each piece of green bias tape. Zigzag stitch edges of medium rose strips and squares on green background. Follow manufacturer's instructions to stitch binding to quilt.
Want more information? Try these:
- Love the garden theme? Make a quilt from our Garden and Floral Quilt Patterns.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.