How to Make Stars & Stripes Forever Quilted Coaster Pattern
This fun and easy-to-make quilting project features the charming quilt block used in the Stars & Stripes Forever Quilt Pattern. To get a closer look at the coaster and its patterns, download this three-page PDF of the Stars & Stripes Forever Quilted Coaster Pattern.
To make the Stars & Stripes Forever Quilted Coaster Pattern:
- Download and cut out star pattern. Iron fusible webbing to wrong side of blue fabric and trace star 8 times on paper side of fusible webbing. Cut out stars and remove paper backing.
- Cut eight 41/2-inch squares from plaid fabric. Fuse 1 star in center of each plaid square.
- Thread sewing machine with yellow rayon machine embroidery thread and off-white thread in bobbin. Using blanket stitch (2.5W-2.5L), stitch around stars. Pull threads to back and knot.
- From red print, cut two 13/4 X 45-inch strips. From tan print, cut one 2 X 45-inch strip. Stitch 1 red strip to either side of tan strip lengthwise. Press seams toward red strips. Cut strip set into eight 41/2-inch units.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Stars & Stripes Forever Quilted Coaster Pattern
- Cut batting into eight 41/2-inch squares. Layer 1 square batting, 1 bar unit right side up on top of batting, and 1 star square right side down on top of bar unit. Pin at corners. Repeat for 7 remaining coasters.
- Using walking foot, machine stitch through all 3 layers about 1/4 inch from raw edges. Stitch around all 4 sides, leaving an opening to turn.
- Turn all squares right side out. Stitch openings closed.
- With red thread on plaid side and off-white on bar side, quilt around all squares 1/4 inch from outside edges.
Like the look of this coaster? Use the same quilt block to create the Stars & Stripes Forever Quilt.
Want more information? Try these: