Dress up your dining room table for your next party -- or for every day -- with this beautiful quilted table runner. It's fun to make and will go great with most decors.
To make the Spring Brunch Quilted Table Runner Pattern:
- Prewash and press all fabrics. This project is assembled using template-free rotary cutting. The first cut is always from selvage to selvage.
- Label each piece after cutting as indicated. From pink fabric: Cut a strip 41/2 inches wide, from that strip cut three 41/2-inch squares (piece E). Trim remainder of strip to 31/4 inches wide, from that strip cut six 31/4-inch squares. Cut these squares in half diagonally (piece C).
- From green fabric: Cut a strip 51/2 inches wide, from that strip cut three 51/2-inch squares. Cut these squares in quarters diagonally (piece D). For inner border: Cut 3 strips 1 inch wide; 2 strips 1 X 411/2 inches and 2 strips 1 X 16 inches. For binding: Cut 4 strips 2 inches wide.
- From blue fabric: Cut 2 strips 51/4 inches wide, from these strips cut twelve 51/4-inch squares. Cut these in half diagonally, then trim each triangle to a 2-inch trapezoid (piece B). (To cut trapezoid, place the 2-inch line of a ruler along the long edge of piece B and trim the triangle above 2-inch line.)
- From cream fabric: Cut a strip 51/2 inches wide, from this strip cut three 51/2-inch squares. Cut these squares in quarters diagonally (piece D). Trim remainder of strip to 31/4 inches, from this strip cut six 31/4-inch squares. Cut squares in half diagonally (piece C). Cut a strip 51/4 inches wide, from this strip cut six 51/4-inch squares. Cut these squares in half diagonally (piece A). Cut 4 strips 13/4 inches wide, from this strip cut 6 strips: 2 strips 13/4 X 39 inches, 2 strips 13/4 X 121/2 inches, 2 strips 13/4 X 15 inches.
- From print fabric: Cut 4 strips 4 inches wide. Cut 2 strips 4 X 421/2 inches and 2 strips 4 X 23 inches. If your fabric measures less than 421/2 inches wide you will have to piece side borders.
- To construct corner units: Sew 12 cream A pieces to 12 blue B pieces along longest edges. Sew 12 cream C pieces to each unit to form squares. Press seams toward cream pieces. Trim units to 41/2-inch square. (To square unit: Use a 6-inch bias square ruler. Place diagonal [45 degree line] along diagonal seam line and trim 2 sides, making sure that there is more than a 41/2-inch square remaining. Turn unit and realign ruler with 41/2-inch mark on 2 trimmed sides and trim remaining sides.)
- To construct side units: Sew 12 cream D pieces to 12 green D pieces. Press seam toward green. Sew 12 pink C pieces to 12 blue B pieces to form large triangle. Sew these 2 units together along longest edges. Press toward blue. Trim units to 41/2-inch square. (Trim for the corner unit; the center of square aligns with 21/4-inch mark on ruler.)
- Make 3 blocks with pink piece E as center of each (see photo of finished piece for placement).
- To make lattice: Sew two 121/2-inch cream strips to 2 blocks; sew blocks together (block-lattice-block-lattice-block). Sew a 39-inch lattice to each side; then sew a 15-inch lattice strip to top and bottom.
- To make borders: Sew side borders (421/2-inch pieces) on first; then sew on top and bottom.
- To finish: Cut backing fabric and batting about 2 inches larger than quilt face. Layer top, batting, and backing fabric; then baste. Quilt as desired by machine or hand. Bind (see How to Quilt for instructions).