This quilt will be cut and assembled in rows. As each row is completed, it should measure 171/2 inches horizontally. The quilt will still work if your rows are not exactly 171/2 inches, as long as the rows are all the same width.
To make the School Days Quilted Wall Hanging Pattern:
- Assemble first row. From white, cut two 51/2-inch squares. From red, cut one 71/2 X 51/2-inch rectangle. Stitch one white square to each short side of red rectangle.
- Assemble second row. From white, cut two 5 X 41/2-inch rectangles and one 47/8-inch square. From red, cut one 47/8-inch square and one 2-inch square. Cut squares in half diagonally from corner to corner.
- Place right sides of white triangles together. Measure 33/8 inches across 1 short side and lightly mark fabric at edge. Measure 43/4 inches along long side from point toward point nearest mark and make another mark at fabric edge. Cut from 1 mark to the other, cutting away a small triangle.
- With right sides together, stitch short side of 2-inch red triangles to white shapes along edge where you cut away triangles. Press to background.
- Stitch white/red triangles to 47/8-inch red triangles along diagonals to form squares. Stitch squares together with red on inside and stitch 5 X 41/2-inch white rectangles to either side.
- Assemble third row. From white, cut two 71/2 X 2-inch rectangles and one 23/8-inch square. From red, cut one 23/8-inch square.
- Place right sides of 23/8-inch squares together and draw diagonal line from corner to corner on wrong side of top fabric. Stitch together 1/4 inch from line on either side. Cut on line and press open. Stitch resulting squares together with red on inside and stitch 71/2 X 2-inch rectangles to either side.
- For row 4, cut one 171/2 X 3-inch strip from white. Pin center of each row. Match centers and stitch together rows 1, 2, 3, and 4.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
- For inner border, cut two 11/2 X 45-inch strips from blue. Measure through center of quilt horizontally and cut 2 strips to this length (about 171/2 inches) from one precut strip. Stitch strips to top and bottom of quilt. Measure quilt vertically through center. Cut 2 strips of blue print to this length (approximately 151/2 inches) from other precut strip. Stitch strips to sides of quilt.
- For checkerboard border, cut three 11/2 X 45-inch strips from green and three 11/2 X 45-inch strips from white. Also cut one 11/2 X 111/2-inch strip from white and set aside. Stitch together 1 white and 1 green strip lengthwise. Press to dark. Repeat for other strips.
- Cut sewn strips into 11/2-inch sections. Stitch sections together end to end, making strips of alternating colors. Make 2 strips of 19 squares beginning and ending with green. Make 3 strips of 19 squares beginning and ending with white. Make 2 strips of 4 squares beginning with white and ending with green.
- Refer to finished quilt illustration below as you stitch borders to quilt. For top of checkerboard border, stitch short checkerboard strips to ends of 11/2 X 111/2-inch white strip, with green squares next to white strip. Stitch to 19-square strip that begins and ends with green, and stitch border to top of quilt.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
School Days Quilted Wall Hanging Pattern
- Stitch together lengthwise one 19-square strip beginning and ending with white and one 19-square strip beginning and ending with green. Stitch to bottom of quilt. Add one 19-square strip beginning and ending with white to each side of quilt.
- For outer border, cut four 4 X 45-inch strips from red. Measure quilt horizontally through center. Cut 2 strips to this length from precut strips and stitch to top and bottom of quilt. Measure quilt vertically through center and cut 2 strips to this length from precut strips. Stitch to each side of quilt.
- Download and cut out all patterns. Iron fusible webbing to back of all appliqué fabrics. Trace patterns on paper side of fusible webbing, cut out, and remove paper backing. From cream for steps, cut one 3/8 X 33/8-inch rectangle and one 3/8 X 21/2-inch rectangle. From black for flagpole, cut one 1/4 X 8-inch strip. From tan for fence, cut two 1/4 X 5-inch strips. Arrange appliqués on quilt as shown in finished quilt illustration and fuse.
- Layer top, batting, and back; baste. Using transparent thread, machine quilt around edges of all appliqués and in ditches around schoolhouse and between borders. Quilt diagonal grid pattern in checkerboard border. Insert jute through top of bell and tie a simple bow. Hand stitch to bell tower. From black thread, cut eight 8-inch lengths. At midpoint of lengths, stitch to top of flagpole, taking several stitches through all three layers to secure. From black thread, cut 1/2-inch lengths. At midpoint of lengths, stitch to cat face to make whiskers. Take several stitches through all three layers to secure.
- From dark blue print, cut four 31/4 X 45-inch strips. See How to Quilt to stitch binding to quilt.
Want more information? Try these:
- Looking for a different quilted wall hanging? Choose one from our Quilted Wall Hanging Patterns.
- If this wall hanging is a bit too complicated, check out our Easy Quilt Patterns.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.