This is one dragon you'll love to get close to! Download a photo and the patterns for the Dashing Dragons Quilt in this six-page PDF.
To make the Dashing Dragons Quilt Pattern:
- When cutting, be sure grain lines on pattern line up to straight grain of fabric; seam allowances are included in patterns. From white, cut 96 of piece A, 12 of piece B (6 face up, 6 face down), 12 of piece D, 12 of piece E, and 12 of piece F. From bright green, cut 108 of piece A, 12 of piece I (6 face up, 6 face down), and 36 of piece G. From dark green, cut 12 of piece K (6 face up, 6 face down), 12 of piece H, and 12 of piece J (6 face up, 6 face down). From red/orange, cut 12 of piece C (6 face up, 6 face down). From dinosaur fabric, cut 9 strips 21/2 X 121/4 inches and 8 strips 21/2 X 45 inches. From multicolor, cut 6 strips 3 X 45 inches and 6 strips 31/4 X 45 inches.
- Pin long sides of green A to white A and sew. Press seams toward green. Make 96. Sew 8 units together with green triangles in lower left corner. Make 6. Repeat, placing green triangles in lower right corner. Make 6.
- Pin and sew green A to shortest side of piece K. Press seams toward A. Make 12 (6 right, 6 left facing). Pin and sew piece B to unit AK. Press seams toward K. Make 12 (6 right, 6 left facing).
- Pin and sew piece J to piece C. Press seams toward piece J. Make 12 (6 right, 6 left facing). Pin and sew piece D below JC. Make 12. Pin and sew piece G to piece E. Make 12 (6 Es on right, 6 on left). Press seams toward G. Sew 12 piece Gs to 12 Fs. Make 12 (6 Fs on right, 6 on left). Press seams toward G.
- Pin and sew unit GE below unit JCD. Make 12. Sew unit GF below JCDGE. Make 12. Sew remaining Gs below piece F. Make 12. Pin and sew piece I to G side of unit. Press seams toward I. Make 12 (6 Is on lower right, 6 on lower left). Sew piece H to rectangle. Make 12 (6 Hs on right, 6 on left).
- Sew unit AKB to top edge of rectangle. Make 12 (6 AKBs facing right, 6 facing left). Sew AA strips to edge of each block. Make 12 (6 AA strips on right, 6 on left). ©2007 Publications International, Ltd.This will help you piece each dragon block together.
- Iron webbing onto white fabric. Trace penny 12 times and cut out. Remove paper and put eyes on piece K and fuse. Using black fabric marker, color pupils (right on right facing dragons, left on left facing). Machine appliqué eyes using close zigzag stitch with matching thread.
- Lay out blocks in rows of 3 (see photograph on PDF of Dashing Dragons Quilt Pattern). Sew 121/4-inch strip of dinosaur fabric to top of each of 9 blocks in last 3 rows. Press seams toward strips. Sew blocks together in 3 vertical rows of 4 blocks each. (Top block in each row will not have strip of dinosaur fabric.)
- Sew together 45-inch strips of dinosaur fabric to create 1 very long strip. Measure length of 4-block row and cut 4 strips to make vertical sashes. Sew strip to left edge of each 4-block row, and sew remaining strip to right edge of the far right row. Sew rows together. Measure width of quilt top and cut 2 more strips for horizontal sashes. Pin and sew top and bottom sashes.
- Measure quilt from center top down to bottom edge. This is the measurement for borders of 2 longest sides. Sew six 3 X 45-inch strips of multicolor fabric together end to end. Press seams in 1 direction. Cut 2 strips to measurement. Pin and sew strips to long edges. Press seams toward border.
- Measure from center of each long edge across to opposite edge. This is the measurement for top and bottom borders. Cut 2 strips from remaining multicolor fabric strip. Pin and sew to quilt. Press seams toward border.
- Fold backing fabric in half, selvages together, and cut along fold. Right sides and selvages together, sew 2 pieces with 1/2-inch seam. Lay backing face down. Center batting and trim. Center quilt face up. Hand baste or safety-pin layers together.
- Sew 31/4-inch strips of multicolor fabric together end to end to make long strip. Measure your quilt as you did in Steps 10 and 11. Sew binding to quilt. Remove basting.
- Quilt around outline of dragons, 1/4 inch from edges. Quilt lines marked on diagram in pieces H and I. To quilt sashes and borders, draw half-square triangles in chalk on sashes to cover borders and outer sashes.
Want more information? Try these:
- Find a baby quilt you love on our Baby Quilt Patterns page.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.