Recycled Wrapping Paper Ornaments
When most people think of ornaments, they think of Christmas trees. Folding the wrapping paper into cones makes tiny tree or angel ornaments and cutting out snowmen from the paper design makes, well, snowmen ornaments. But we're going to challenge you to go one step beyond these classics. Ornaments can be used to decorate your home, office, nursery, deck or just about any space that could use a little charm.
Here's what you'll need to get started on this craft:
- Wrapping paper
- Cardstock or cardboard
- Glue or tape
- Decorative items, such as paperclips, thumbtacks, brads, string, buttons, yarn, single earrings (if you've lost the other one), ribbons, feathers or sequins
Let's rethink the word "ornament" for a moment. Take your mind away from the Christmas tree and think instead about beauty. Perhaps you can design a small cat or dog ornament to go above the animal food dishes. Think about what makes you happy and then find a way to recreate those items with a decorative flair.
Do you want to fashion a simple bathroom ornament? We will teach you how using some of the materials listed above:
- Take a standard note card and cut out enough wrapping paper to cover both sides. Glue the paper into place.
- Cut along the edges of the card in a wave fashion to add shape to the ornament.
- Trace the word "relax" onto a contrasting color of wrapping paper. Cut out the word "relax" and glue it to the ornament.
- Hang spare earrings along the bottom of the card by poking them through right at the bottom. If all of your earring pairs are intact, you can glue buttons or other decorations under the word "relax."
- Attach the ornament to a ribbon or piece of string using glue or a brad.
- Hang the ornament where you can gaze at it from a hot, relaxing bath.
Homemade recycled wrapping paper ornaments can easily light up a stale office cubicle, a tiny kitchen or an unwelcoming entryway. All it takes is a few minutes of your time and some creative thought. But let's say you're in the mood for something with more dimension. Read on to learn all about recycled wrapping paper bows.