Make a Crazy Checkerboard with any colors you like. Measure two colors of construction paper, and weave them together.
How to Make a Crazy Checkerboard
What You'll Need:
- Two pieces of differently colored paper (1 piece 8 x 8 inches, 1 piece 8 x 10 inches)
- Transparent tape
- 8 x 10-inch cardboard
- Craft glue
- Cardboard scraps
1. Fold the 8 x 10-inch sheet of paper in half, bringing the 8-inch sides together. Cut 7 slits, 1 inch apart, from the folded edge to within 1 inch of the other edge. Cut out eight 1-inch-wide strips from the 8 x 8-inch piece of paper. Unfold the first sheet of paper.
2. Weave the paper strips through the slits from left to right. Weave over and under the slits. If you started by weaving the first strip over the first slit, weave the second strip under the first slit, the third strip over the first slit, and so on. This will create a checkerboard.
3. When you have woven all 8 strips through the paper, make the ends of the strips even and straight. Carefully turn the checkerboard over. Place transparent tape along the left and right sides of the checkerboard to hold the strips in place. Turn the checkerboard right side up, and glue it to the cardboard.
4. Cut small circles out of cardboard, stack them 3 or 4 pieces high, and glue them together. Create enough for 2 sets of checkers. Make each set a different color. Now play checkers!
Ready for a brain twister? Learn how to make a tangram, a complicated puzzle that takes many shapes, on the next page.