Children of all ages enjoy the fun that playing with clay can bring. Homemade clay is inexpensive, easy and fun to make. Most basic recipes can easily be made by children using regular household ingredients, which can be found in your cupboard. There are many recipes for homemade clay, but none are as good as the following two recipes.
The first one is modeling clay, which duplicates store bought clay. The second one is baking clay, used in making jewelry, trinkets and small pottery items.
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2½ tablespoons oil
- 2 cups water
- Food coloring
Here's what to do:
- Boil the water with a few drops of food coloring.
- Remove the water from the fire and mix in the oil.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the colored water and oil.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and let it cool.
- Knead the mixture thoroughly until you have the right consistency.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1½ cups water
Simply knead all the ingredients together until you have the right consistency.
Shape the clay as desired, and then bake it in an over at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for about half an hour, or until it's hard. After the clay has cooled, you can paint it with acrylic craft pain.