Budding fashion designers will be thrilled to create their own T-shirts using nothing more than a potato or two, some cookie cutters and a little paint. Chop a baking potato in half, and then push a cookie cutter through it. Do the same with the other half of the potato and squeeze a few colors of fabric paint onto a sheet of newspaper. Dip the potato shapes into the paint, being careful to wipe or scrape off any excess, and stamp away onto a clean T-shirt!
- Disney Family Fun. "Beyond Mud Pies: Mud Cupcakes." (June 3, 2012) http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/beyond-mud-pies-mud-cupcakes-675150/
- Disney Family Fun. "Craft: Tie-Dyed T-Shirts." (June 3, 2012) http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/tie-dyed-t-shirts-666905/
- First Palette. "Button Bracelet." (June 3, 2012) http://www.firstpalette.com/Craft_themes/Wearables/buttonbracelets/buttonbracelets.html
- Immergut, Debra. "Jar Luminarias." (June 3, 2012) http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/jar-luminarias-1030109/
- Martha Stewart. "Kids' Accessories." (June 3, 2012) http://www.marthastewart.com/275294/kids-accessories/@center/276975/marthas-crafts-kids
- Martha Stewart. "Potato-Stamp Shirt." 2006. (June 3, 2012) http://www.marthastewart.com/272370/potato-stamp-shirt?czone=crafts/kids-crafts-cnt/favorite-kids-crafts¢er=276975&gallery=275413&slide=272370
- Real Simple. "How To: Make Cardboard Shoes." (June 3, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/family/kids-parenting/cardboard-shoes-00000000039233/
- Russell, Courtney. "Calling All Butterfingered Parents!" Real Simple. (June 3, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/family/kids-parenting/crafts-kids-00100000064965/index.html
- Worrall, Jocelyn. "6 Crafts to Make with Pasta." Parents.com. (June 3, 2012) http://www.parents.com/fun/arts-crafts/kid/pasta-crafts/
Chalk paint — no priming, no sanding and, though slightly more expensive, a great painting alternative. HowStuffWorks looks at this DIY superstar.