Making Quilt Sections
The next steps in the pattern involve completing some of the unique decorative sections of the quilt. For a closer look, download this two-page PDF of Santa's Special Delivery Quilt.
To make the quilt sections of Santa's Special Delivery Quilt Pattern:
- You will make 10 star blocks. For star blocks: From background fabric cut eleven 41/2 X 1-inch pieces, twenty 3 X 11/2-inch pieces, forty 2 X 11/2-inch pieces. From star fabric cut twenty 11/2-inch squares (draw diagonal), ten 31/2 X 11/2-inch pieces.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
- Sew a 11/2-inch star square to bottom right side of 3 X 11/2-inch background piece. Cut fabric away below seam line. Make 20. Sew 2 X 11/2-inch background piece to right side of star/background piece. Make 20. Sew a 2 X 11/2-inch background piece to bottom left and top right of a 31/2 X 11/2-inch star piece (see diagram A). Cut fabric away above and below seam lines where indicated. Make 10. Assemble stars as indicated in diagram B. Make 10. Sew 41/2 X 1-inch background piece to tops of 7 stars. To bottoms of 4 of these stars sew 41/2 X 1-inch background piece.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
- From background fabric cut a 21/2 X 4-inch piece, 61/2 X 10-inch piece, two 11/2 X 31/2-inch pieces. Sew a top-bordered star to left side of 21/2 X 4-inch background piece (this is piece A). To either side of an unbordered star sew a 11/2 X 31/2-inch background piece (this is piece B). Sew bottom of piece A to top of piece B. Sew bottom of piece AB to top of 61/2 X 10-inch background piece.
- For sled and pot section: From background fabric cut 51/2 X 21/2-inch piece, 10 X 2-inch piece, 71/2 X 2-inch piece, 7 X 11/2-inch piece, 41/2 X 11/2-inch piece, 5 X 21/2-inch piece, 21/2 X 41/2-inch piece, 21/2-inch square (draw diagonal), 11/2-inch square, 1 X 21/2-inch piece, 11/2 X 21/2-inch piece. From sled fabric cut 11/2-inch square, 141/2 X 21/2-inch piece. From pot fabric cut 71/2 X 11/2-inch piece, 51/2 X 21/2-inch piece. From trunk fabric cut 11/2 X 2-inch piece.
- Sew 21/2-inch background square to bottom left of 141/2 X 21/2-inch sled piece. Cut fabric away below seam line. To right side of this piece sew 1 X 21/2-inch background piece. To left side of piece sew 11/2 X 21/2-inch background piece (this is piece A). Sew 11/2-inch background square to top of 11/2-inch sled square. To right of this piece sew 5 X 21/2-inch background piece. To right of this sew 51/2 X 21/2-inch pot piece. To right of this sew 51/2 X 21/2-inch background piece (this is piece B). Sew bottom of piece B to top of piece A. To left side of piece AB sew 21/2 X 41/2-inch background piece. Sew 7 X 11/2-inch background piece to left side of 71/2 X 11/2-inch pot piece. To right of that sew 41/2 X 11/2-inch background piece (this is piece C). To right side of 10 X 2-inch background piece sew 11/2 X 2-inch trunk piece. To right side of that sew 71/2 X 2-inch background piece (this is piece D). Sew bottom of piece D to top of piece C. Sew bottom of piece DC to top of piece AB. Embroider rope from Santa's hand to sled.
- For tree section: From background fabric cut 12 X 41/2-inch piece, 4 X 121/2-inch piece, six 41/2-squares (draw diagonal). From tree fabric cut three 81/2 X 41/2-inch pieces.
- Sew a 41/2-inch background square on right side of 81/2 X 41/2-inch tree square. Cut fabric away above seam. Repeat with 41/2-inch square on left side of same tree square. Make 3. Sew blocks on top of each other (3 high). Sew 4 X 121/2-inch background piece to right side of tree blocks. Sew 12 X 41/2-inch background piece to top of tree/background block.
- Sew stars block to left side of tree block. Sew stars/tree block to top of sled block. Sew Santa block to left side of stars/tree/sled block.
- From accent border fabric cut two 301/2 X 11/2-inch strips, two 11/2 X 251/2-inch strips. Sew 301/2 X 11/2-inch strips to top and bottom of quilt. Sew 11/2 X 251/2-inch stripes to right and left side of quilt.
The final step of Santa's Special Delivery Quilt Pattern is its beautiful flying geese border. Learn how to make it on the next page.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Find a Christmas quilt you love on our Christmas Quilt Patterns page.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.