Candy Cane Cookies
Add a new type of candy cane to your Christmas decorations with these Candy Cane Cookies. They're a great Christmas food craft to share with your family.
What you'll need:
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Red food coloring
Measuring cups and spoons
To make Candy Cane Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter and sugar mixture, then add the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Add the flour mixture, in small amounts, to the butter and sugar mixture, until well mixed.
- Divide the dough in half. Put half in a bowl; add enough red food coloring to make a nice color.
- Make little balls of red and plain dough.
- On a clean, floured surface, roll the balls into ropes. Dust your hands with flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Twist one red rope and one plain rope together, and shape them into a candy cane.
- Place dough on a baking sheet; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just slightly brown.
While you are making cookies, think about making Edible Angels. We'll show you how in the next section.For more fun crafts and activities, see: