Once your pit is finished and has had time to cure, you're ready to accessorize it. You may think there isn't much pomp and ceremony to throwing some wood on the fire and then sitting around to watch it burn, but there are a number of accessories that can make the job of outdoor fire manager easier and safer.
These accessories will help you make the most of your fire pit:
- Grates - Grates can be used as elevated platforms for fire preparation or cooking. They're typically open metal shelves that install inside the fire pit.
- Cooking grids (also called grates) -If you're grate is holding the logs for your fire, you may still have a gridded shelf positioned above the flames to cook on. Often cooking grids are adjustable. If you don't plan on using your fire pit for cooking, you won't need one.
- Log racks - Bins, shelves or cabinets designed to hold firewood, log racks are available in a number of sizes, shapes and materials. They can be rustically decorative or strictly utilitarian. Many are available with covers.
- Log grabbers - These long metal tongs make it easier to perform fire management duties once things start getting hot. They're usually constructed of steel or iron. Some also have lever action handles.
- Hearth gloves - Fireproof and long enough to cover the wrist and part of the forearm, these gloves are must-have for safe fire control.
- Covers - Having a heavyweight polyester cover for your fire pit can be handy when it rains. They're easy to find for round pits with a diameter of around 48 inches or so. If you have a custom built pit, you may have to make a cover yourself.
- Pads - Designed for portable pits, stone pads protect the surface under the pit from heat, sparks and ash.
- Screens - For standard, round pits, screen domes are available that can make fire gazing a bit safer.
- Gas logs and lava rocks- For gas powered fire pits, these accessories hold heat and help create the illusion of burning logs and embers.
With a few accessories to make fire fun easier, all you'll need is a bag of marshmallows and some friends to share them with.