Learn how to make a beaded picture frame for a special picture using craft sticks, wooden beads, and glue.
What You'll Need:
4 regular craft sticks
11 mini jumbo craft sticks
2 mini craft sticks
12 wooden beads, 1 inch each
8 inches ribbon or string, 1/2-inch wide
Clear overhead transparency film or plastic
- To make the sides of the frame, glue three beads evenly spaced across the top of a regular craft stick. Let dry, and glue another regular stick on top of the beads. Repeat with two more regular sticks and three more beads; let dry.
- To make the top and bottom of the frame, repeat step 1, using mini jumbo craft sticks instead of regular craft sticks.
- Place one of the short pieces on its side on your work surface, and glue one of the long pieces at one end to form an L. Make sure the angles are square and the pieces are straight. Hold the pieces together until the glue sets. Repeat at the other end with the second long piece. Set aside to dry, making sure the piece doesn't get bumped or moved while it's drying.
- Glue the other short piece to the top of the long pieces; let dry.
- To make the back of the frame, lay five mini jumbo sticks side by side, and glue a mini craft stick 1/2 inch from the top and another 1/2 inch from the bottom; let dry.
- When all pieces are completely dry, run a line of glue along the back of the inner stick edges of the frame. Set the frame back (from step 5) to cover the inner opening; let dry.
- To make a stand for the frame, cut 1-1/4 inches off the end of two mini jumbo sticks. Run a bead of glue above the lower horizontal stick on the solid frame back, and place the cut ends of these sticks in the glue. Prop the frame against a heavy object to hold it in position until the stand pieces dry. Or, to make a hanger for the frame, simply double up a piece of ribbon or string and glue both ends to the back.
- Measure and trim a piece of clear transparency film or plastic to make a protective cover to fit exactly in the frame opening. Cut your favorite photo to fit, insert it into the frame, and place the clear cover on top.
Paint the craft sticks and beads any color you like for a colorful variation of this simple frame.