Warm up your kitchen -- and your heart -- by creating this special quilt. To get a closer look at the quilt and its patterns, download this four-page PDF of the Country Scents Quilt Pattern.
To make the Country Scents Quilt Pattern:
- All seam allowances are 1/4 inch. Always iron seams to darkest fabric. There are 6 sections of the quilt: Section 1 has a chicken, section 2 has a pie, section 3 has a teapot, section 4 has an apple basket, section 5 has a jam jar, section 6 has 2 chickens. Cut and sew 1 section at a time. Measurements are listed widths first, then heights.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Country Scents Quilt Pattern
- For section 1: Cut 51/2 X 4-inch background piece, 11/2 X 6-inch lattice piece, five 11/2-inch dark checkerboard squares, five 11/2-inch light checkerboard squares. Sew 5 alternating light to dark checkerboard squares together right to left. Sew 5 alternating dark to light checkerboard squares together right to left. Sew strips on top of each other with darker outside squares on top. Sew checkerboard to top of 51/2 X 4-inch background piece. Sew 11/2 X 6-inch lattice piece to right side of checkerboard/background block.
- For section 2: Cut 101/2 X 6-inch background piece, 11/2 X 6-inch lattice piece, 171/2 X 11/2-inch lattice piece. Sew 101/2 X 6-inch background piece to right side of block from Step 2. Sew 11/2 X 6-inch lattice piece to right of 101/2 X 6-inch background piece. Sew 171/2 X 11/2-inch lattice piece to bottom of complete sections 1 and 2.
- For section 3: Cut 61/2 X 71/2-inch background piece, 11/4 X 71/2-inch lattice piece, 11/2 X 71/2-inch lattice piece, 81/4 X 13/4-inch lattice piece. Sew 11/4 X 71/2-inch lattice piece to the right side of the background piece and 11/2 X 71/2-inch piece to the left side. Sew 81/4 X 13/4-inch lattice piece to bottom of block.
- For section 4: Cut 61/4 X 43/4-inch background piece, 11/4 X 43/4-inch lattice piece. Sew lattice piece to right side of background piece.
- For section 5: Cut 31/4 X 43/4-inch background piece, 93/4 X 11/4-inch lattice piece. Sew background piece to right of block created in Step 5. Sew lattice piece cut in this step to bottom of section 4 and 5 (with lattice piece between).
- For section 6: Cut 93/4 X 33/4-inch background piece. Sew background piece to bottom of block created in Step 6. Sew this block to the right of section 3. Sew top and bottom blocks together.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
- Cut seventeen 11/2-inch squares from multicolor scraps. Sew squares together to form strip. Sew this strip to bottom of already created block.
- For accent border: From accent border fabric cut two 11/2 X 171/2-inch strips and two 181/4 X 11/2-inch strips. Sew 11/2 X 171/2-inch strips to top and bottom of block. Sew 181/4 X 11/2-inch strips to right and left sides of block.
- For outside border: From outside border fabric cut two 191/2 X 31/2-inch strips and two 31/2 X 241/4-inch strips. Sew 191/2 X 31/2-inch strips to top and bottom of block. Sew 31/2 X 241/4-inch strips to right and left sides of block.
- Cut backing and batting 2 inches larger than quilt face. Place quilt face on top of backing and batting. Pin baste with 1-inch safety pins. Trim batting and backing even with quilt face.
12. For binding: Cut six 21/2-inch-wide strips of fabric (selvage to selvage). Join all strips end to end. Fold in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press. Measuring through center of quilt lengthwise, cut 2 strips this length. On front side of quilt, with raw edges even, stitch 1 strip to each side. After stitching, fold the binding over the seam allowance to the back. Hand stitch to back along the seam line. Next measure through the center (widthwise), and add 1 inch to this measurement. Cut 2 strips this length. On each end, fold in 1/2 inch and press. The 1/2-inch fold in will give your binding a clean finished edge. With wrong sides together press strips in half and follow same procedure as for side binding strips.
- Iron fusible webbing to wrong side of all appliqué fabrics. Trace patterns on paper side of webbing and cut out patterns (patterns are already reversed). If you are hand appliquéing, be sure to cut out patterns 1/2 inch larger than drawn for seam allowance. Remove paper backing. Lay out pieces on quilt and fuse to quilt. Machine quilt, buttonhole stitch, or pen stitch around pieces. Mark quilting design with washable marking pencil. Starting in center, quilt with small even stitches.
Want more information? Try these:
- Find an American quilt you love on our Americana Quilt Patterns page.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.