The folksy birdhouses that adorn this quilt really give it a charming appeal. To get a closer look at the quilt and its patterns, download this PDF of the Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern.
To make the Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern:
Note: All pattern pieces and measurements need to have 1/4-inch seam allowance added. The lines given in the patterns are sewing lines, not cutting lines, unless otherwise indicated.
- To make birdhouse block templates: Download pattern pieces A-H. Place template plastic over patterns and trace pattern outlines. Using a ruler, mark 1/4-inch seam allowance around outer edge of pattern pieces on plastic. Cut out along inner edge of outside line.
- To make appliqué templates: Download pattern pieces I, J, bird, leaf, and berry. Make the appliqué templates the size that you want the figure to appear on quilt. The seam allowances are added on the material. Cut out along inner edge of outside line.
- For each birdhouse block: Pieces A, B, E, G, and H should be cut out of the same material. Pieces C and F should be cut out of the same material. Pieces H and J are both different materials. (For each block, there will be 4 different materials used.) Using templates, mark pieces A, B, D, E, G, and H onto right side of background material using a sharp pencil. Using fabric scissors, cut out pieces. Using templates, mark pieces C and F on right side of birdhouse material. Using fabric scissors, cut out pieces.
- Piece block in the following sequence (following pattern layout below): Sew pieces B and D to C. Sew A to top of piece BDC. Sew pieces E and G to piece F. Sew piece ABCD to piece EFG. Sew piece H to side to complete block. Make 9 blocks.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern Layout
- To mark birdhouse appliqué pieces (I and J), place template on right side of fabric. Draw around template using a sharp pencil. Cut out piece J (birdhouse hole) from 2-inch squares, adding 1/4-inch seam allowance. To make a circle, cut out paper the exact size of the circle. Sew a running stitch slightly in from the edge of the fabric starting with a knotted end. Lay the paper piece in the center of the material and pull the loose end of thread around paper--snug but not too tight. Secure with a backstitch. Appliqué piece in place with thread that matches appliqué; turn work over and snip fabric behind circle. Pull out paper with tweezers.
- Mark and cut piece I. Press seam allowance under and appliqué in place.
- Sew birdhouse blocks into 3 rows with 3 houses in each row. Sew rows together to make quilt top.
- For borders: From tan, cut two 11/2 X 36-inch strips and two l1/2 X 20-inch strips. Sew 36-inch strips to sides of quilt top. Sew 20-inch strips to top and bottom of quilt top. From blue plaid, cut two 61/2 X 20-inch strips and two 61/2 X 50-inch strips. Sew 20-inch strips to top and bottom of quilt. Sew 50-inch strips to sides of quilt.
- To make bias binding: Cut a 21-inch square from tan and blue stripe material. Cut square in half diagonally, making 2 triangles. With right sides facing, sew triangles together (see illustrations below). Mark cutting lines 1 inch apart parallel to long bias edges. Cut into strips. To join strips, lay them perpendicular to each other with right sides facing. Stitch across strips, making a diagonal seam. Using hot steam iron, press under 1/4 inch on each side of binding, leaving a 1/2-inch finished bias binding strip approximately 362 inches long.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern
- From bias length, cut six 31/2-inch bird perches for sides, two 101/2-inch bird perches for top and bottom, and fourteen 4-inch berry stems.
- Using photo in PDF of Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern as a guide, sew bias strips to outer border of quilt.
- Using appliqué templates, mark 2 birds and 1 reverse bird (turn template over before marking) on right side of red material. Adding 1/4-inch seam allowance, cut out. Mark and cut 1 bird and 3 reverse birds from tan/blue plaid, 2 birds and 1 reverse bird from gold material, 24 leaves from tan/blue/red print, and 95 berries from dark red solid or print.
- Press seam allowances under and, using photo in PDF of Birds of a Feather Quilt Pattern as a guide, place and sew birds, leaves, and berries to quilt.
- Cut batting and backing fabric larger than quilt top. Lay backing fabric face down, lay batting on top, and quilt top face up. Baste layers together. Hand or machine quilt layers together. Trim batting and backing.
- Cut binding fabric into 11/2-inch strips (seam allowances are included) and join strips to create one very long strip that is at least 168 inches long. Sew binding fabric to quilt top and turn binding to back of quilt and hand stitch in place.
Want more information? Try these:
- Find an Americana quilt you love on our Americana Quilt Patterns page.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.