You're almost there! Use these directions to help you make the quilt border, add backing and batting, and bind the quilt. Be sure to download this two-page PDF of Santa's Special Delivery Quilt Pattern for an up-close view.
To finish the Santa's Special Delivery Quilt Pattern:
- Flying geese border: From background fabric cut a hundred 21/2-inch squares (draw diagonals). From multicolored fabrics cut fifty 41/2 X 21/2-inch pieces. Sew a 21/2-inch square to right side of a 41/2 X 21/2-inch piece. Cut fabric away above seam line. Repeat for left side. Make 50. Sew 16 blocks together with points all going in same direction. Repeat. Sew 4 blocks together with points going up. Sew a star block to top of 4 geese blocks. Sew a 1-sided bordered star on top of unbordered star (with border between stars). Sew 5 geese blocks together with points going down. Sew to top of geese/stars strip. Sew a 2-sided bordered star to top and bottom of strip. Repeat.
- Sew strip of 16 geese blocks to bottom and top of quilt. Sew stars/geese strips to right and left side of quilt.
- Cut backing and batting 2 inches larger than quilt face. Place quilt face on top of backing and batting. Pin baste with 1-inch safety pins. Mark quilting design with washable marking pencil. Starting in center, quilt with small even stitches. Trim batting and backing even with quilt face.
- For binding: Cut six 21/2-inch-wide strips width of fabric. Join all strips end to end. See How to Quilt to finish binding.
Want more information? Try these:
- Find a Christmas quilt you love on our Christmas Quilt Patterns page.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.